What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Yellow Sarracenias

In the past, I've seen sarracenias infused with yellow as one can see in my yellow Wriggleyana but yesterday at the BACPS meet, I found a sarracenia that was mostly yellow. I purchased it and I'm hoping that this is not some kind of environmentally-induced coloration. I sure hope that this thing is stable. :)

My wriggleyana:

sarraceniayellow-wriggleyana.jpg

And here's my new acquisition:

sarraceniayellow-rubraoreoflava.jpg

Looking good. There's an impressive yellow flava about called "Goldie"

Your wrigleyana doesn't look like any hybrid I've seen of that cross though. Looks more like psittacina x alata or rubra to me.

Wow, nice yellow Flava!

It's not a pure flava, though it has rugelli in it. The cross is (rubra x oreo) x flava rugelli.

where'd you get that wrig from? please pm me about it. it looks more like a doodlebug

It's not doodlebug, but I find it hard to believe it's a wrigleyana. I have an un-labelled hybrid from a certain vendor in the pacific NW that looks very close to that one. I've always wondered what it was. I've kind of been referring to it as flava x psitt, but I'm thinking it's probably alabamensis x psittacina, as the flowers are pure red and alabamensis can also have a nice golden color to it. I don't have a pic of it, but I do have an open-pollinated seedling in its 2nd year from it. I'm assuming it was self-pollinated because it looks so much like the mom, except the hoods are more open:

flavapsittop.jpg

well, (not meaning to start an argument) looks like the XL doodlebug i have... and doodlebug is alabamensis x psittacina

I have a division of this particular Wriggleyana, looks like a psitt x leuco to me
IMG_2250.JPG_595.jpg

The new plant looks stunning though Brokken, very nice grab!

you know, the more I look at it, I think it definitely could be. my first impression was definitely no, because it really didn't resemble mine, other than shape. but i guess not everyone grows their stuff the same and all that, and browsing other pics of it,..yeah definitely could be d-bug.

edit: in reply to awgaupp's post

I have a division of this particular Wriggleyana, looks like a psitt x leuco to me

interesting that that is a division from the same plant, it doesn't show the yellow I see in the first pic. although the lighting is different. i still don't think it's a wrig because of that yellow. that just screams alabamensis or flava to me, and it's not a color that I would think would be inherited from leuco or psitt. also, the lack of white spotting on the lid - with leuco and psitt as the parents, you would expect the lid to be fully spotted (think: scarlett belle). the lids on this plant are sparsely spotted, if at all, which makes me think one of the parents is a non-spotted variety. i know genetics can work in myserious ways sometimes, so I wouldn't rule it out as being a wrigleyana, but because of that yellow, I just can't see it being a pure wrigleyana.

i found an old pic of my doodle bug, from a couple of years ago:

doodlebug.jpg

I suppose it could be doodlebug. It may have been mislabeled where I purchased it. What's in the make-up of Doodlebug?

"Doodle bug" S. rubra ssp alabamensis x psittacina. Looks like 'Dixie Lace' too [(leucophylla x rubra wherryi) x (psittacina x purpurea)]. "Doodle bug" tends to be more decumbant than 'Dixie Lace'.

"Doodle bug" S. rubra ssp alabamensis x psittacina. Looks like 'Dixie Lace' too [(leucophylla x rubra wherryi) x (psittacina x purpurea)]. "Doodle bug" tends to be more decumbant than 'Dixie Lace'.

I thought Dixie Lace was a simple Wriggleyana. Is that not the case?

http://www.carnivorousplants.org/cpn/Species/v27n2p38_40.html

Sarracenia 'Dixie Lace'

This specific clone was selected in 1993. It resulted from a 1988 pollination at the University of North Carolina at Charlotte (hereafter UNCC) that germinated in 1989 (seed lot 88-14). The female parent was a natural hybrid between Sarracenia leucophylla and S. alabamensis subsp. wherryi (given the unregistered horticultural name "Cotton Patch") collected in Perdido, Alabama in 1985 and grown at the McMillan Greenhouse at UNCC. The pitchers resemble S. leucophylla, although only up to 30 cm (12 inches) tall, and are distinctly pubescent. The male parent was an artificial hybrid of Sarracenia psittacina and an unknown partner, probably S. purpurea, made by Dr. Warren Stoutamire, and given to the North Carolina Botanical Garden (hereafter NCBG) prior to 1985. That hybrid was unofficially called "Snorkle" and continues to be grown in the collections of both institutions.

This is a side-by-side comparison of the two so-called 'wriggleyanas' that according to NAN are not at all Wriggleyanas. :) Either way, nice plants. :)

doodlevsdixie.jpg

S. wrigleyana is a naturally occurring hybrid of S. psitticina and S. leucophylla so each seed plant will look a bit different. S. 'Scarlett Belle' is cultivar of S. wrigleyana chosen from an especially attractive plant.

S. 'Dixie Lace' gets its name as you can see from the fine lace-like veining.

S. wrigleyana is a naturally occurring hybrid of S. psitticina and S. leucophylla so each seed plant will look a bit different. S. 'Scarlett Belle' is cultivar of S. wrigleyana chosen from an especially attractive plant.

S. 'Dixie Lace' gets its name as you can see from the fine lace-like veining.

Nan: I believe it. :) I always thought that Dixie Lace looked odd for a Wriggleyana and I concur with the "Doodlebug" ID. I just don't know why I didn't see it earlier as a mislabeled sarra. I guess sometimes we take those ID tags as unquestionable truth.

"Doodlebug" is another of the Trade Marked/Plant Patent Pending plants so proceed with caution on labeling it as such.

Back