What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Question on watering Sarracenia Purpurea in pitcher?

Hi all

I have read which makes perfect sense not to water the pitchers that have hats on as it rots the pitcher, however this plant does not and there's a fly that's going moldy so... if this plant was in the open outside it would normally take water in the pitcher, but it's indoors...

So any advise please

All welcome

Wayne

Pure sarracenia purpurea needs water in the pitchers.

Purpurea hybrids don't need any as they can produce their own digestive enzymes. Whilst their pitchers will be open to the rain, their taller stature usually means they tip over and the water drains out.

Hi all

I have read

wherever you read that, stop reading there! ;)
they have bad info.

which makes perfect sense

it does not make perfect sense at all..its flat out wrong..

not to water the pitchers that have hats on as it rots the pitcher,

they are designed to have water in them..

however this plant does not and there's a fly that's going moldy so...

no problem at all..

if this plant was in the open outside it would normally take water in the pitcher,,

yes it would..which is the reason it makes "pefect sense" that it should have water in it! ;)

but it's indoors...

very bad idea.

So any advise please

yes..dont grow it indoors..ever..
keep it outdoors, and it will keep itself filled with water..
I have never added water to a purpurea pitcher..yet they are always filled..

Scot

wherever you read that, stop reading there! ;)
they have bad info.

How are you going to know if it is bad info without reading it?

it does not make perfect sense at all..its flat out wrong..

Given the information that Sarracenia with lids produce their own fluid what doesn't make sense about not having to add water to pitchers with lids on them and water to those without? How is that flat wrong?

yes it would..which is the reason it makes "pefect sense" that it should have water in it! ;)

Now you contradict your early statement that it makes no sense at all.

very bad idea.

Not a good idea, but I wouldn't say it is a very bad idea. As I've pointed out to you before many people successfully grow S. purpurea under lights for years. Peter D'amato and the ICPS website both state that S. purpurea and S. psitticina are suitable for indoor growth.

yes..dont grow it indoors..ever..
keep it outdoors, and it will keep itself filled with water..
I have never added water to a purpurea pitcher..yet they are always filled..
There's the old saying "Never say never". Saying "don't grow it indoors..ever.." is the same as saying "Never grow it indoors". For the umpteenth time I'll point out that Ivan Snyder grows S. purpurea under lights. He prefers S. purpurea ssp venosa var burkeii because have short flower stalks that don't hit the lights. The only reason for not growing the taller species under lights is the height of the pitchers - the energy costs alone to supply sufficient light and cooling is beyond the reach of most individuals.

Never grow Sarracenia indoors? Take a look at this:
http://www.terraforums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=107339
http://www.terraforums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=118006
http://www.carnivorousplants.org/seedbank/species/Sarracenia.htm
Juvenile Sarracenia can be raised in a terrarium under lights for two to three years before they need to join the adults and start the cycle of seasons. When the Sarracenia seedlings have about 5 leaves, they can be transplanted into pots with the plants spaced about 2 cm apart or 9 to a standard 8.5 cm (3 inch) pot. If you use long fibered sphagnum, it should be chopped into 1 cm or shorter lengths so the plants can be transplanted later without breaking the roots. The pots should be put into a terrarium under 4 fluorescent bulbs or the equivalent. The lights should be on for 16 to 18 hours per day and it is a good idea to line the outside of the terrarium with aluminum foil or mirrors to maximize the amount of light the plants get. As the plants grow too large for the community pots, you may want to transplant the larger ones individually into 5 cm (2 inch) pots.

And arguably growing plants in a greenhouse is indoors, after all most greenhouses have doors of some sort. So the Kew Gardens, growers like Alexis, Aiden and Andrew should tear down their greenhouses and grow their Sarracenia outdoors?

So never ever really?

fine..if I must..

How are you going to know if it is bad info without reading it?

I know its bad info because they, whoever "they" are, said "not to water the pitchers that have hats on as it rots the pitcher"..which is stupid advice..
so thats how I know its bad..

the information that Sarracenia with lids produce their own fluid what doesn't make sense about not having to add water to pitchers with lids on them and water to those without? How is that flat wrong??

umm..what? could you rephrase the question please? I cant tell what you are trying to say..

Now you contradict your early statement that it makes no sense at all.
no im not..
first I said it doesnt make sense to NOT add water..which is what "they" said..
it "doesnt make sense" that adding water would be bad..
now im saying it makes sense TO add water..it makes sense that adding water is good..
(or at least not harmful)
they are oposite statements..
not adding water = "doesnt make sense"
adding water = "makes sense"
thats what I was saying.

Not a good idea, but I wouldn't say it is a very bad idea. As I've pointed out to you before many people successfully grow S. purpurea under lights for years. Peter D'amato and the ICPS website both state that S. purpurea and S. psitticina are suitable for indoor growth.
sematics..you can say "not a good idea"..I can say "very bad idea"..
both are valid.

There's the old saying "Never say never". Saying "don't grow it indoors..ever.." is the same as saying "Never grow it indoors". For the umpteenth time I'll point out that Ivan Snyder grows S. purpurea under lights. He prefers S. purpurea ssp venosa var burkeii because have short flower stalks that don't hit the lights. The only reason for not growing the taller species under lights is the height of the pitchers - the energy costs alone to supply sufficient light and cooling is beyond the reach of most individuals.

Never grow Sarracenia indoors? Take a look at this:
http://www.terraforums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=107339
http://www.terraforums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=118006
http://www.carnivorousplants.org/seedbank/species/Sarracenia.htm

bad examples..
those threads are about seedlings..which is not the topic of this thread..
there is still zero evidence that you can grow adult sarrs indoors long term..

And arguably growing plants in a greenhouse is indoors, after all most greenhouses have doors of some sort. So the Kew Gardens, growers like Alexis, Aiden and Andrew should tear down their greenhouses and grow their Sarracenia outdoors?

seriously..what?
doors on greenhouses?
we are talkling about newbies growing indoors on windowsills..
no doors, no greenhouses..
not even remotely the same thing as Kew Gardens..

So never ever really?

yes, really..
very bad idea..
unless its seedlings, and unless you know what you are doing (with seedlings)

this thread is about an adult plant indoors, grown by a newbie..
therefore indoors = very bad idea.

get back to me when you have grown sarrs indoors, on a windowsill, with no dormancy, for 5-10 years straight, and the plants are still healthy and thriving..then we can talk! ;)

Scot

Hey guy's please don't argue, it's a couple of quid plant...

It's better to learn and understand than argue... That's what I am on here for to learn... and may be help others where I can...

I will post the images of when I bought the plant and now, and it's grow indoors which is living proof...!

I think I mentioned this before, I was told it was not possible to breed discus in a 2ft planted tank, 5 years on I achieved that in a 2ft planted tank.

So moral of the story is, you can but try may be when have a new and better method at the end... that's the goal, so please work together... and help each other rather than tearing each other apart...

Thanks for all those that wish to help,...

Noddy

Noddy,
no problem..hope we answered your initial question! ;)

and dont worry about it..no one is "tearing each other apart"..
its just a normal, if semi-heated debate..happens all the time! no biggie..
as long as we keep the debate on the plants, its all good..

Scot

I can attest to the S. purpurea filling its pitchers outside, without any help from me. After all, nobody is going around to the swamps, filling the pitchers! LOL!

I can attest to the S. purpurea filling its pitchers outside, without any help from me. After all, nobody is going around to the swamps, filling the pitchers! LOL!

Umm... actually...
Just kidding!

that would be an interesting profession..
might be fun for one day, but after that, not so much..

mosquitos especially would be a concern..

Scot

So to sum up then ...

Sarracenia purpurea take on water naturally, which would indicate to be fine if done in a close (indoor environment).

Hmm that was easy!

Noddy

Here is a photo of my Sarracenia grown on the window ledge..

DSCF9023.jpg

Noddy

which would indicate to be fine if done in a close (indoor environment).

Noddy

Negative, if you wish to keep your purp looking that nice you will have to switch to outdoor growing. There simply isnt enough direct unfiltered sunlight in a windowsill. You've got a very nice looking purp venosa dont let it go down the drain!

Like your VFT, this is an outdoor plant.

So why then Jimscott

Is it doing so well, the room is at a good temp like a green house in the Summer, it's water levels checked...

i'll shut it down in Oct through the winter... till spring ...

It's lacking rain wind, but the sun's south west facing....

Noddy

So why then Jimscott

Is it doing so well, the room is at a good temp like a green house in the Summer, it's water levels checked...

i'll shut it down in Oct through the winter... till spring ...

It's lacking rain wind, but the sun's south west facing....

Noddy

Because if it is grown outdoors you'll get nice fat purple pitchers. Trust me, people don't give out bad advice on this forum.

Mr.Truncata... That's not what I am getting at..

So what part of being out side creates the method then in which the purple pitchers...

It's a means of pushing and learning the plant to the extreme... I have a book that says jam jar the VFT plant a long with many other poor info, however I ask learn and watch the plant intently, I see my plant all the time, since I am in the same room as it, most of the time...

There are many methods in which to do something sometimes your lucky move it 2 inches and it will die there's endless, means all I know is that so far it's grown very very well indeed better than I thought.

Image below was 6 weeks before, which was grow outside...

5113_110317125395_685505395_2882143.jpg

Noddy

Being outside isnt what will cause your plant to pitcher. It will do this no matter the conditions. Placing it outside allows it to derive the REQUIRED energy it needs in order to grow properly. I have never heard of 'pushing' a plant so I'm not quite sure what you're referring to but they dont exactly grow in a weight room so they dont need to be pushed...as a matter of fact I dont recommend you 'push' your plants, it'll only weaken them.
Leaving your plant indoors you will start to see etiolation and green pitchers lacking much of the colors that they would attain outdoors.
I cant recommend enough you take a look at the MANY MANY MANY threads on this forum alone tackling this topic/issue. And if even after you've read up on this you still feel that you can/want to grow your plant indoors, I suggest you buy a 2nd purp but leave this one outside so that you may compare the results.
We've all been where you are right now, we're just trying to save you the pain of loosing a nice plant.

I must have deleted the green version of this plant, but this is how it should look:

IMG_0032-1.jpg

If you lok at plants in their natural habitat. most of the time they are red. A green plant is one that is not getting enough light. They may look healthy but they aren't at their best.

Back