What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

No sarracenia flowers

What do I have to do to make a pitcher plant flower?My sarrs only made traps.thanks for the
help:-D.

For one, they need to be fully mature to flower.

Usually Sarracenia must be over 5 years old to flower. And at that, they would flower only in the spring, although sometimes (depending on the species) can flower later in the year too.

which species do you have, and how old is it?

Two. S.Purpurea ssp.venosa and S.psittacina.The purpurea is probably older then five years,but not so sure
about the parrot pitcherplant.

They also need to be established. Major disturbances like dividing can cancel flowering. If you grow them in a place with no seasons or indoors they will never flower on a regular basis.

I put them outdoors every day and try to give a minimum of 8h of sunlight

They only flower in spring, after winter dormancy.

Next spring could be the one!

The purp will flower eventually. I've heard that psittacina can be difficult to flower, even when grown in good conditions.

Jason

I put them outdoors every day and try to give a minimum of 8h of sunlight
Here's a novel idea....if you have a good spot for them outdoors why not just leave them there to grow rather than shlep them in and out each day? You'll probably end up with a happier plant in the long run.

i don't do anything to mine and they flower in the spring with no help from me. I have them planted outside and they pretty much thrive on neglect as long as I keep them watered, they don't need anything else from me.

I have NEVER had a S. purpurea flower..in 16 years of growing them!
no idea why..

And I have other Sarrs that dont flower at all until I have owned them at least 3 or 4 years..
I think even if they are "adult" plants, it takes several years for them to get established in a new home before they will flower..

It just takes time..

and yes, just keep your plants outside all the time..
there is no reason to carry them in and out..
if its above zero degree Celsius, just leave Sarracenia outdoors.
dont even worry about bringing them indoors unless its below zero degrees C.

Looks like most of Poland is zone 6..a bit cold for overwintering outdoors.
you will probably have to find a cool indoor place for winter dormancy this winter..

Scot

I seem to recall there was a member from the Atlanta, GA area that lived in an apartment/condo. He used to post here. The only area that he had with direct sunlight was a public/shared walkway. He'd put his plants out during the day and take them in at night. He either didn't feel comfortable leaving them out or night or it wasn't practical to do so because of increased foot traffic or he didn't want to piss off the homeowners association. Seems like reasonable causes to take them in at night.

Not everybody has the luxury of a yard or some reasonably secure outdoor area where they can grow their plants.

I've not had trouble with any of mine refusing to flower - even new divisions. I've never gone a year where my plants didn't flower. Maybe I'm lucky in that respect. As a matter of fact, I've often asked if people trim their flowers to promote pitchering. Some say yes, some no - so the veredict is still up in the air.

I point I would like to make is: A division doesn't have to 'settle down' to flower. In most cases, I get flowers anyways, and people that I send divisions to often get flowers from them as well.

I have NEVER had a S. purpurea flower..in 16 years of growing them! no idea why..
Wow! I don't think I've heard of that with purps (S. psittacina - sure). This is true with all different varieties of purps or just the northern variety?

Back