What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Is this normal for a Hummer's Giant?

mmorehead

Carnivorous Newbie!
First, let me just say that I greatly appreciate everyone who has given me advice so far in my newest Ceph endeavor! The learning process continues...

I was watering my Ceph Hummer's Giant a little while ago and was enjoying its new growth. But then I noticed a brown spot on the stem of a forming pitcher near the crown. Should this be cause for alarm? Am I doing something wrong? Any input is greatly appreciated!

I've also been noticing a musty type smell coming from the sphagnum. I will be repotting it next week and wanted to know what kind of sphag to use (New Zealand, Long Fiber, etc.) I know it's probably a silly question, but I'm still learning. Thanks again for all your help!

Here are some pictures:
S6302609.jpg

S6302607.jpg

S6302602.jpg

S6302606.jpg

Since it's new, losing leaves is normal. And I would try not to repot it since it's a bit under stress of the new environment and that Cephs are very sensitives to root disturbance. Also, I wouldn't try 100% Sphagnum. It'll probably rot the plant. Try for something more airy, like a Nepenthes mix with orchid bark or 2:1 perlite and peat. But, a top dressing of Sphagnum is fine. And any Sphagnum will do, but New Zealand Sphagnum is good.

Hope this helps. :) Someone correct me if I'm wrong.

I would take a leaf cutting from the "winter leaf", as a backup.

Back