What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Cephalotus behaviour

Cindy

Staff member
I used to panic when I see a number of rapidly browning pitchers. :blush:

cephalotus_brown_pitchers1.jpg

cephalotus_brown_pitchers2.jpg

But nowadays, I have learnt to look out for something else. Usually the new growth will put out larger pitchers. :-O

cephalotus_brown_pitchers3.jpg

cephalotus_brown_pitchers4.jpg

Aside from the sudden death syndrome, they seem to be pretty resilient from below. This year I had two plants remaining from the original parent plant I got from elgecko, ~5 years ago. One plant apparently died and I was getting nervous about the one. So I took two leaf cuttings. The cuttings died and it appeared that the plant did as well. And just like when you lose something and then go out and buy a new one, I found this little guy among the U. alpina, outside, totally ignored:

Picture001-21.jpg

I don't know if it's the first one or second plant that I thought had died. And of course I have a Ceph leaf coming in the mail and a promise of another in a month...

---------- Post added at 08:32 AM ---------- Previous post was at 08:30 AM ----------

Question: Is it only the so-called winter leaves that sprout new plants or does anything basal do the same?

Nice example Cindy,

Av

Back