What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

S.purpurea test propogate..

I did make a test today, did smoothly cut off 1 pitcher with root attached on it from my S.purpurea. And after that I did place it in live sphagnum moss in a plasticbag. Check the two pics on how it looks atm, 09-08-28.

Is this a technique that could work or have worked for anyone ?

Laters all.

Pulling propagation is possible but not the easiest way to propagate Sarrs. Having read this in literature, purps are the best candidates for this type of propagation. flava, oreophila, rubra etc... reportedly do not do as well as purps.

That may actually be viable! all you can do now is wait. :)

Yeah I hope it will be since I like these plants and sure wonna have some more :)

I think this stands a good chance at striking because you got both rhizome and roots and are growing it in a high humidity medium.

Sounds good then since im pretty new att doing these kind off stuff. Il update with pics later on iff it dies or strikes.

Keep an eye out for fungus, mold, and other goodies that will love the stagnant air and high humidity.

Ok her is an update on my S.purpurea propogate experiment :) It worked mutch better than I could emagine even then I did have faith on it alot hehe.. Worked so good that even the main mother pitcher I started with is fully functional and not dry at all :p I have been checking the base place off the plant and I can count to 5 new tiny small pitchers forming and 2 off them you can see easy. For the record it have gone 16 days since I did make this leafcutting.

Pic with main pitcher:

2n03tr7.jpg

Pic at main base of plant:

id7t44.jpg

Nice! Congratulations on striking. :D

wow that was fast! good job :-D im gonna try that. i love s. purpurea too

Yeah its a very nice plant for sure. Atm I have now divided and got 10 plants total from 3 motherplants total :)

Oh and I did also test a new thing and gonna se if that works I did cut one plant in 2 pices and did divide the roots between the 2 plants equal gonna be funn to se iff they can survive that.

Good job - that's much faster than I would've expected. You'll be waist-deep in purps at this rate. :)
~Joe

Here is my last update on this thread, one more pic 23 days after I did the leafcutting with 1 root on it.

Pic:

30n88p2.jpg

Great job! I do this with my purp venosa by poking small holes in the rhizome, waiting a week, then pulling out the seedling sized plantlets that come out. Then I root them in moist peat, and voila :) Of course there's always the chance of the plant being attacked by some opportunist who sees the chance to grab a bite of the rhizome...never happened to me before tho.

Wow! I never expected such a high rate of success. You must be doing something right ;)
This sounds like it'd be a good way to propagate slower purps like montana. Thanks for sharing this with us, I'm sure many of us are as surprised as I was.

Yeah like I did say before I now got 10 off these plants our from 3 before :p none off my have died, 100% sucess rate then. I did on 3 off these just cutt the purpurea in the middle and leave some roots to each plant nasty but easy and it works :p

Did a search on Rhizomes and found this. I was looking for Pics of Rhizome cuttings then grown. But I like this method too. Great Pics. CONGRATS!!!!! More Bang for your Buck, That's what I'm talking about. Does anyone have recorded pics of Rhizome Propagation.

Sweet!!!!!!!!!!!! Keep the Pics coming!!!:-D

Nicely done. I've been relying on divisions for my Purp (got a division this year, woo!) but I may also try a leaf pulling next year and see if I can get three instead of two.

Thanks for the tips, and congrats on your success!

This sounds like it'd be a good way to propagate slower purps like montana.
You've noticed that montana's are slower than other purps? While I had one S. rosea take a few years to get from a seedling to a full size purp - most purps seem to have a similar growth rate (although my luteola seedlings are managing to set new records for slow...).

Back