What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Sarracenia flower in August?!

I'm no botanist but I'm pretty sure Sarrs arent suppose to flower in the fall...
IMG_2454.JPG

So should I cut it off or let it do it's thing? I figure the plant has already invested the energy to making the flower (unlike Neps) so should I let it flower or cut it off?

Let's take votes: Yay or Nay

Brokken told me to cut mine so i did ........

My S. flava var. rugelii is flowering as well. I'ma let it flower and then cut it off.

My purp ssp purp did the same: i cut it off when it was 1 inch tall

I'm passing information that I got from Aidan: Late flowers may leave the plant vulnerable to botrytis. This is not scientific fact, just someone's opinion. Having said that, Aidan is quite the accomplished grower, so I take his advice based on his success at growing sarras.

I have a moorei doing the same thing, just found it today.

what is botyris? also, my judith hindle is sending up a flower, i want self-pollinated seeds, but would it be safer to cut it off? it would be the first flower i see made in my care

You can let it flower, but when it's done, trim it off.

I ended up cutting it off last night. I wouldnt have been able to get any seeds out of it this late into the season.

Why not? If you have the pollen from another flower earlier in the year, they can set seed over winter.

I dont think so Alexis. Our winters are much too cold I think. I left a purp outside last year and it completely devastated it. The low last winter hit about -20F (-28C)with wind chill. I dont think the tissue from the flower would survive since the purp pitchers didnt.

I also would prefer the plant to flower in unison with the others so that I could cross pollinate in the spring.
If I had the chance to live in zone 7-8 I'm sure there could be a possibility that seed would set in winter, but since I place all Sarrs in fridge dormancy and I'm low on space, I couldnt accommodate a flower. I also did not have any pollen to use for cross pollination and did not want to mess with selfing the flower.

Back