What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Sarracenia 'Cobra Nest'

Hi. Someone on another forum mentioned this patented cultivar, which got me researching it so I could offer better advice than "water, peat moss, lots of sun".

According to the ICPS it doesn't go dormant? Is that accurate or hyperbole? Sounds like a fun cross if so.

Any earthly ideas on the parentage? It looks like Minor and Purpurpea and maybe leucophylla?

There is not a Sarracenia species or hybrid the doesn't experience dormancy or its eventual demise -- though you can drag most pitcher plants for a couple of years before they "crash" . . .

I could be wrong, but I think the parentage is unknown. One of those "random seedlings" I suppose. purp definitely. minor is a good possibility. i think there is some rubra in there myself. i personally don't see any leucophylla influence, but who knows?

Do a patent search using the keyword "Sarracenia"

http://patft.uspto.gov/netahtml/PTO/search-bool.html

Click on Sarracenia 'Cobra Nest'

Under description read:
The new Sarracenia was discovered by the Inventor as a seedling originating from a cross of two unidentified selections of Sarracenia hybrida, not patented. The cultivar Cobra Nest was discovered and selected by the Inventor as a single plant within the progeny of the stated cross in a controlled environment in Vista, Calif.

Cultivar description:
http://www.carnivorousplants.org/cpn/Species/v32n1p24_27.html#nest

This is what someone sent to me last year as a 'Cobra's Nest':

Picture-4.jpg

Looks like a purple purpurea to me...

A photo today:

Picture001-23.jpg

I put it through dormancy, just like the other Sarracenias and cobra lily. if I did anything wrong, the plant certainly didn't object.

Back