What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Darlingtonia seedlings?

darlings.jpg

So I've never seen a fresh-out-of-seed Darlingtonia. Is that what I have here, or do I have some kind of weed?

in June I threw a bunch of D. Filiformis "Florida All Red" seeds in here and sealed it in a baggie under the grow lights. Some time later (July, I believe) I put some Darlingtonia seeds that I've been stratifying in the fridge since early February. Last month, I crumbled my Drosera madagascariensis's first finished seed pods up in there.

It doesn't look like any Drosera I've ever seen, but they don't look... "Darlingtoniaish". Do I have some form of weed?

Mayb an utric.

Yeah, that's my fear. I donno how it would have gotten in there.

As far as I can see, I don't think so. I see some of the seeds and don't really see anything. Try using a magnifying glass.

If they produce flat leaves, they aren't Darlingtonia. Those do look like Darlingtonia dicots, however, so watch for Sarracenia-ish tube-shaped juvenile leaves springing up in between. I think they take one to three weeks to start producing leaves, but it's been a long time since I sprouted any. At least one appears to be some sort of grass/sedge/false moss type thing. (The cluster on the far left center.)
~Joe

From this vantage point they look more like a utric. Baby Darlingtonia look like baby snakes.

Back