What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

When to divide American Pitcher Plants

jimscott

Tropical Fish Enthusiast
I want to divide and repot my minibucket plants. I want to do this when they are dormant, either before I tote them to my co-worker's garage, in November, or in April, when I bring them back. They're getting a little congested. Which is better - November or April?

Picture014-4.jpg

Picture015-5.jpg

Jim-
Nice plants.......still admire that you are able to grow Darlingtonia too!! Given the too, certainly divide them in April!

I would do it in April..
because then they are just coming out of dormancy and can quickly grow new roots, and have all season to acclimate to the division and re-potting..

Autumn might be ok too..but I would prefer not to disturb things right as the plants are going dormant..

Actually, instead of April, make it February or March..right when the plants come out of dormancy, but before active growing begins..

Scot

I hear ya. I'd probably have to bring them home early and store them in our garage, which doesn't have windows to give them photoperiod cues. But now that I think of it, what's the difference between a fridge and garage, other than size? Neither one provide photoperiod. I miss the windowed attic we used to have!

I don't think they are overly crowded just yet. They still could do quite a bit of growing in their buckets. If I were you, I'd keep them there for one more year. However if you would like to divide them, it's generally accepted that winter or spring are the best times to do it in.

I'm most concerned about the planter with the cobra lilies. I want them to stretch out more easily. That and I want to have pots with Dana's Delights, straight up leucophyllas, Scarlett Belles, rubras..... But mainly I want the Darlingtonias to roam more freely. You really think I can go another year?

On that particular planter, you could use a little more space - Everywhere else it looks like you have some space.

Works for me. Thanks!

Agree on Spring!

The best time to divide plants is right before a period of active root growth and that seems to be spring for all the hardy CPs I've grown. A lot of other plants grow new roots in the fall and that's when you'd want to divide/plant them. Not only does it help ensure the plant is ready for whatever stress (hot summer/cold winter) is about to come, an actively metabolizing plant is much more able to ward off infection.

I'll wait until I bring them home, in April.

Back