What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Which Rubra Is This?

jimscott

Tropical Fish Enthusiast
Of the various varieties out there, looking at Savage Garden's pictures, I still can't determine which one it is. Do you know?

Picture027-3.jpg

I'sd say its a sarracenia :)

Where did you get it?

Edit: oops that's against the rules.

If it feels "pubescent" (is covered in peach fuzz) and the pitchers never get rigid its probably S. rubra ssp. of some kind or a hybrid of rubra. S. rubra ssp. alabamensis is very wildly distributed/ cultivated because it is currently in tissue culture. If you got it from Lowe's it might be rubra ssp. rubra.

Do you have a picture of the whole plant? The overall size and shape of the pitchers are helpful in determining which is which. Also, how long have you had it? Has it flowered? If it's flowering-age but still not more than a foot tall, it could be wherryi.
~Joe

I don't remember who sent it to me. It has not flowered yet. Here's another look at the pitcher and the whole plant:

Picture048.jpg

Picture005-10.jpg

Reminds me of S. rubra subsp. wherryii, but I've been wrong before.

That's a pot tag from the tissue culture facility. Hold one of the pitchers up to the light. ssp. alabamensis has very very faint "windows" in the back of the throat.

2009-09-12greenhouse004.jpg

2009-09-12greenhouse001.jpg

Looks like one of the smaller ones to me, but I could be wrong. What's the scale on those photos, Jim? The second one looks like it couldn't be much more than eight inches high, judging by the tag. Looks like the same style tag that my first DeRoos' N. "Alata" came with, actually. I understand that there are some generic rubra hybrids circulating, as well - it could be that your plant isn't specific to one of the named subspecies.
~Joe

Deroose doesn't do Sarracenia... They don't do pot stakes either.

Looks like one of the smaller ones to me, but I could be wrong. What's the scale on those photos, Jim? The second one looks like it couldn't be much more than eight inches high, judging by the tag. Looks like the same style tag that my first DeRoos' N. "Alata" came with. I understand that there are some generic rubra hybrids circulating, as well - it could be that your plant isn't specific to one of the named subspecies.
~Joe

If they buy them from AG3 they come with the stakes/tags.

I'm at work right now, so I can't check. But the pitchers are ~9" tall and that one tag in the foreground looks the like the one I have.

S. rubra ssp. wherryii

I'd say wherryi too. But don't hold me to that!

Why wherryi as opposed to the others? What are the distinguishing characteristics?

It looks like my specimen of wherryi and it doesn't look like rubra rubra, jonesii or alabamensis. I guess it could also be gulfensis - which looks a lot like a taller version of wherryi.

Not sure if this helps or not but here is a recent picture of what I received as S. alabamensis:

Picture005-11.jpg

Let me rephrase my statement above: Wherryi looks a lot like alabamensis... just shorter. Wavy, short lids compared to other rubras. Gulfensis, jonesi and rubra all have longer, smoother hoods and somewhat more reflexed.

if i had to make a guess, i'd say wherryi too. but there's always gonna be specimens that don't fit the artificial boundaries us humans have made.

Serious? He has a tag from agristarts. Check for areoles Jim.

if i had to make a guess, i'd say wherryi too. but there's always gonna be specimens that don't fit the artificial boundaries us humans have made.

I had to google the word, 'areole'.

Areoles are the distinctive feature of cacti, and identify them as a separate family from other succulent plants. Areoles give rise to spines or, on certain cacti, small, detachable glochids which are an additional form of protection. The areoles on cacti are clearly visible. They generally appear as small light to dark colored bumps, out of which grow clusters of spines.

Areoles represent highly specialized branches on cacti. They are believed to have evolved as vestigial leaves of cacti which were modified into spines over time. Thus, the branches became reduced to buds which give rise to the spines. This means that as cacti adapted and evolved to the desert climate, over time they got rid of branches and leaves, which were converted into areoles and spines to protect the plants, and to reduce water loss.

Some cacti lack spines on their areoles, but instead, (as said above) utilize small, detachable glochids which resemble small, sharp splinters and are very difficult to remove from the skin.

LOL! I still don't know what to look for!

Back