What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Darlingtonia Mountain Variety

This plant is insanely vigorous for me here....
See this thread, from last year when i received it for a bit more info
those of you who have received divisions/stolons from me of Darlingtonia, it has come from this plant
http://terraforums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=114814
In dormancy, the plant turns a deep crimson red
Endofdormancy010.jpg

here it is this year. its been a bit slow since i divided the hell out of it for the NASC auction
CPs9-17-09011.jpg

CPs9-17-09006.jpg

CPs9-17-09007.jpg

CPs9-17-09008.jpg

CPs9-17-09009.jpg

Beautiful plant, Kris. The red pitchers in the first picture are ravishing.

Very nice. I also second that the red pitchers are "ravishing." ;)

Can't wait to see it when its pitchers are nice and tall.

Awesome, I wish my Darlingtonia was still around. :(

That red color sure is something! I bet living in Washington only gives you a tiny advantage in growing them, huh? ;)

Thanks for sharing!

Well -

Technically these do not qualify as a variety in botanical/horticultural terms. A variety differs in physical appearance from other plants in the same species. A form differs by some minor attribute such as flower color. Thus we have Sarracenia flava var. flava, var. rubricorpra, var. rugelii etc.

Don't jump to conclusions that the mountain populations are as a whole more vigorous than plants from the coastal populations. One site of the Gasquet, CA Darlingtonia area is reputed to have plants that are vigorous rapid growers. And Jacob Farin who propagates plants from the Oregon coastal and Siskiyou areas doesn't feel that the mountain plants are any more vigorous - just that the coastal plants appear to have a genetic predisposition to prefer milder temperatures.

I have seedlings of Darlingtonia californica and Darlingtonia 'Othello' x ? from the Sierra Nevada populations. They were all sown at the same time. About half of the 'Othello' x ? are out pacing all the rest, yet the remainder of the 'Othello' x ? are growing at the same pace as the D. californica.

Here's something that will surprise you: The mountain seeps and the fens that Darlingtonia californica grow in the Siskiyous are very alkaline with pH between 8 and 9. The coastal Sphagnum bogs have a typical acid pH between 3.5 and 5.5

not saying this plant is any more or less vigorous than the coastal kind as far as growth goes, but i have noticed it requires a lot less babying than any darlingtonia care guide has said they would need. in august, this plant took 4 days of 106ºF temps, and another 4 days after that of just over one hundred without even setting a snag into its growth. ive also handled this plant rather roughly while dividing, again not setting it back much at all.
I go with "the mountain variety" since the clone this seedling originates from is from the mountain group of plants. But also because this plants ability to handle a wider range of temperatures and even be put into extremes without much of a fuss.

Here's something that will surprise you: The mountain seeps and the fens that Darlingtonia californica grow in the Siskiyous are very alkaline with pH between 8 and 9. The coastal Sphagnum bogs have a typical acid pH between 3.5 and 5.5

I have no idea which one I have, but the pH is likely to be acidic, due to the copius LFS. My plant, after several "Lowes Cube of Death" failures, came from someone in the PAC NW (can't remember who). This plant has divided, flowered, been put through 2 dormancies, and isn't fazed by the 90+ F days we have had.

Picture002-13.jpg

Picture019-2.jpg

Picture001-12.jpg

Why does this colony seem to do well?

But also because this plants ability to handle a wider range of temperatures and even be put into extremes without much of a fuss.

In my experience any Darlingtonia is able to withstand those temperatures as long as night time drops are sufficient. I've picked up clones from Lowe's all which took 100+ Fahrenheit without blinking. I don think the range in temps is any different than a typical Darlingtonia but those colors are sure nice. Let's hope they maintain that characteristic when the plant fully matures. Looking good Jim!

Did I send you that, Jim? I know I traded some of my seed-grown plants to someone about a year back, but I can't for the life of me remember who.
~Joe

We talked about doing a trade, but I don't think we made one. For all I know it may have come from Kris. I gotsa to write these things down!

jimscott i dont think we have done a trade lol

I figured out where mine went. The grower apparently hasn't logged in for some time. Hope you're doing well, Steve.
~Joe

Yeah... it's not in my notes as such though. My documentation has really fallen behind... Hehe, my growlist on here is probably very inaccurate at this point. Do you have a Germanic-sounding surname that starts with a W?
~Joe

PS - Er, duh, that comment wasn't at all directed at me. I have a really bad cold today.

Nope & Nope.

Back