What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Repotting vs. Dividing

Hiya Fellow CP'ers-

My question is, lets say you have a Sarr that has many growth points and has outgrown its current pot.

You really don't want 4+ pots right now, but just want to move it in a larger pot.

Would it be more healthier for the plant to be divided or would it be just as happy if I just gave it more space????

Thanks to all those who respond :hail:

E

Eventually you will need to divide. In the wild plants eventually die and it is thought that a lack of division is partly responsible. If you have just a few growth point 5-10 you would be fine to just repot for now.

Hiya FReNcH3z-

Thanks for the info :banana2:

I was thinking if the plant becomes to over crowded with pitchers and phyllodias, the inner portion will have a hard time photosynthesizing and probably weaken and die.

So division it is, when it becomes too much and over crowded.

Anymore input will also be greatly appreciated :hail:

:boogie:
E

In the wild plants eventually die and it is thought that a lack of division is partly responsible.

I doubt that somehow! 'Leah Wilkerson' is about 3 metre long in the wild and probably more than 50 years old.

It's just what I've read, now how true that statement is, well your guess is as good as mine. If I could only remember the source : /
I remember it saying that the plant will grow out radially and that eventually the center growth point will die and when this occurs, the rest of the plant succumbs the same fate eventually. I can somewhat believe that mainly because if the plants didnt eventually die off, then we would see remnants of the 'original' ancestors of CPs.

Someone please confirm of nullify if you can!

I divided mine then put them into a larger pot altogether - shooting up like there's no tomorrow right now.

As long as one removed the entire contents, as one unit, into a larger pot, the plant will likely not notice. As to dividing, that's best when they are asleep.

As long as one removed the entire contents, as one unit, into a larger pot, the plant will likely not notice. As to dividing, that's best when they are asleep.

I don't know, it was the beginning of summer when I divided mine, and they kept growing as if nothing had happened.

Well, it's not to say that you can't do it during the grow season, Kayota; just that there's a greater chance for error. Experimenting with a single plant probably isn't the most thorough investigation of that phenomenon. You may also just be in a climate that's particularly friendly to Sarracenia. The same is true of my neck of the woods - it just never really gets hot or dry enough to put Sarrs into stress for more than a few days at a time. It could also be that your plants were just breaking dormancy when you repotted them. (We had a pretty late winter up here - most of my outdoor collection has been growing very strangely this season.)
~Joe

I live in southern Illinois. Most of my collection has been fine but my S. leuco... not so much.

Interesting... the leucos should be looking their best right about now, before going to sleep.

Back