What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Heliamphora finally flowering . . .

After a strange hiatus of almost two years, my Heliamphora heterodoxa x minor is finally sending up the first of, what I hope, are to be many flower stalks -- as I have had in the past. Why it failed to flower, I have no clue, since there were no changes to either location or cultivation; and there were no real changes in temperature either, especially when it really counts, at night.

It's Northern California. We have no seasons . . .

Heliamphora heterodoxa x minor
HHETXMINOR.jpg

Holy crap, you'd need a machete to divide that thing! Make sure to update us when the flowers open!
Congrats!

wow congrats, great looking little bugger

....That needs repotting. At least. Very nice specimen Big Bella :)

Hi Big Bella! That is a huge plant! As for the flowering, most heliamphora react positively, when the light period increases drastically. I induce flowering by changing light period from 16 hours a day to 24 hours a day, for at least one week. If the plant is healthy and in good condition, it works like a charm:)

....That needs repotting. At least. Very nice specimen Big Bella :)

I have purposely allowed the Heliamphora to become root-bound, since I have had far better luck with them in that state (though I have taken divisions from that plant on several occasions). Those that I had seen in the wild had little or no compost and were barely clinging to rock surfaces (as lithophytes) or in very shallow leaf litter . . .

Hi Big Bella! That is a huge plant! As for the flowering, most heliamphora react positively, when the light period increases drastically. I induce flowering by changing light period from 16 hours a day to 24 hours a day, for at least one week. If the plant is healthy and in good condition, it works like a charm:)

The plant has always been growing on my south-facing windowsill since it was a seedling; and would always flower like clockwork by August -- at least, for the last six or seven years. It simply took an almost two-year hiatus from sending up a spike . . .

Perhaps making up for lost time, this Heliamphora heterodoxa x minor is sending up three flower spikes this Fall . . .

Heliamphora heterodoxa x minor
HELIFLOWERS.jpg

Woo! You're doing something right with that one. I'm jealous!
~Joe

I hope my Heliamphoras will look so nice someday! I love when plants get overcrowded and they put up numerous flower stalks. Last winter my Haworthia cooperi shot up seven flower stalks from an overcrowded 6" pot (before my cat chewed them off). It's even more stuffed this winter.

holy grail !!

Thanks, all . . .

I am looking forward to getting seed from a number of Heliamphora this season . . .

awsome! If you do get seed, I would love to buy some off you. :)

That is a great-looking heli, nice job caring for it!

Congrats on the flower stalk, I hope you get several as well. :)

Holy crap, you'd need a machete to divide that thing!

Haha, so true. ;)

Back