What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

New S. minor forms?

Hello Friends,

I'm pleased to introduce two forms of Sarracenia minor that I've been observing and working with for several years. These two distinct colonies are extremely isolated from each other, (42 miles apart) and are over three hundred miles away from any other Sarracenia species, making them an excellent study subject as far as purest species genetics is concerned.

The following examples have been in my cultivation for over three years in identical conditions and growing media. So far, traits have remained consistent. Let's start with a delightful "miniature" that I lovingly call "Jimmy Durante" :)

Note the extended snout-like lid that's relative to the Okefenokee form of S. minor. However, the plant 'in situ' and in cultivation never exceeds 20 cm tall plus the lids never fully become bronzed. Plus, they always retain their maroon- veined patterns on the lids;

679751528_hkV5G-XL.jpg

679751560_XNZGR-XL.jpg

Next is another personal favorite from the second location, which I simply call "Ball-cap" :)

The rounded, flared lid is a definite eye-catcher, plus the pitchers have a lovely habit of extending the aereolae around to the sides and front of the pitcher as well;

679751462_Js5PE-XL.jpg

679751498_5yqL7-XL.jpg

Enjoy and Happy Growing,

Brian.

I like S. minor "Seminole Co. ball-cap form-rounded flared lid, extended aereolae to the front"!

:-))

Great job, Brian, they look unique to me!

wow! Those are very beautiful! I love the second one, and I would also love to have that minature one someday! Very ncie, thanks for sharing.

S. minor has always been one of my favorites. Have you distributed divisions and seed to other growers to see if they maintain these characteristics under different growing conditions?

Wow, very nice. Thanks for sharing. :)

:love: Marvelous! Anything to further the cause of Sarracenia, huh?

Thanks for sharing and good luck with them! :)

Thanks everyone for the compliments...

So far, two other growers have been growing these from divisions for a little over a year.

So far...so good! The traits have remained consistent. ;)

Happy Growing,

Brian.

Very nice, i have been to a cite about 40 minutes out of Orlando, FL where there was some minor growing in roadside ditches along with D. capillaris, at that site there were some great physical distinctions in pitcher shape as well as being dark red colored plants.

Wow, I really love the miniature minor's lid how that bit of an extended length just makes it overall look really tight and tucked down. So cute.

(In my best Doctor Evil voice)
And I shall call him...Mini (sarracenia) minor...

Thanks for posting! Variations in different populations is very interesting. I dig the one with the yankees cap!

Back