What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Can I grow Heliamphora outdoors here in Florida?

Interesting. They must know something I don't. Myself and everyone I know who has has tried down here has had very limited to no success (even with the supposed heat-tolerant 'Tequila'). I suppose if you "ice" it down every night it's possible. I didn't factor that in because of the tedium involved.

This has always perplexed me as there are Heliamphora growing in the warmer lowland Gran Sabana.

This has always perplexed me as there are Heliamphora growing in the warmer lowland Gran Sabana.

So far as I know, all the growers simply have the pots in deep trays -- no icing or ice water involved (Darlingtonia included); and the notion of the Lowland Gran Sabana can be a bit misleading; it can still be upwards of 1500 meters (4921 feet) above sea level, and fairly cool . . .

Maybe the distance between me in South Florida and them in the central part of the state is just enough. But I wouldn't think so. The main difference in temps is that they get cooler winters. Other than that, it's just as hot there as it is here. If I tried growing Helis and Dars in shade and deep trays of water they would rot. Our nighttime temps are just too hot, like Trent pointed out.

Yes, I assumed there might be a catch to the Helis in the Gran Sabana. I watched Bill Scholl's footage of one of his Venezuelan trips and they were pointing out how much hotter it was in the Sabana than on the Tepuis. I suppose that is irrelevant if the nighttime temps in the Sabana significantly drop as well.

Okay, it's now down to the following:

Heliamphora Minor for $35 (nursery is based in Oregon and plants are shipped potted with mature pitchers)

Heliamphora Heterdoxa for $25 (shipped bareroot from Wistuba in Europe)

Heliamphora Heterdoxa-Minor for $30 (unknown shipping from an American nursery with luke-warm reviews)

I'd go with a hybrid, in your case; they're far tougher and generally faster growing . . .

Okay, I did some researching on the luke-warm American nursery with the hybrid Heliamphora. I was looking at reviews, and people complain saying that when they order plants from that nursery, they either never arrive or they arrive more than a year later.

So it's down to Heterdoxa or Minor from a well-known carnivorous plant nursery in Oregon, or a Heterdoxa or Minor from Wistuba.

Ok, I ended up buying a Heliamphora Minor from Jacob in Oregon

Do you think I can grow this guy:

Picture006-1.jpg
'Teqyuila'

in this setup, along with a cobra lily and Aldrovanda, in Buffalo, NY?

Picture001-3.jpg

Picture002-14.jpg

Back