What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Just Got a Sarracenia. What Kind? Dormancy This Year?

Wasn't ''Aldrovanda'' supposed to be called ''Aldrovandia'' or something? :p Idk, fuzzy memory of something related to that

It is my understanding that the original name for the cultivar was "Daina's Delight" but most people mispelled it "Dana's Delight" and that's how that mistake got perpetuated (Aldrovanda anyone?). The rightful cultivar name should be "Daina's Delight"

And so my reality has just been shattered.

It is my understanding that the original name for the cultivar was "Daina's Delight" but most people mispelled it "Dana's Delight" and that's how that mistake got perpetuated (Aldrovanda anyone?). The rightful cultivar name should be "Daina's Delight"

Daina's Delight is sometimes also called "Leucophylla Red" due to the fact that it strongly resembles leuco but infused with a lot more red color - which darkens with age. However the name would suggest a variety of a pure species - which it is not and is therefore wrong.

Judith Hindle is a complex cross and I've heard several stories as to how it was created - It is clear that leuco and purp have gone into the mix however who's to say what else is in there.

Interesting..thanks!

Daina's Delight is sometimes also called "Leucophylla Red" due to the fact that it strongly resembles leuco but infused with a lot more red color - which darkens with age. However the name would suggest a variety of a pure species - which it is not and is therefore wrong.

How do you know its not a pure Leuco?
did someone actually create it and carefully document the parents?

Scot

---------- Post added at 07:12 PM ---------- Previous post was at 06:57 PM ----------

Never mind..Google to the rescue! ;)

Sarracenia 'Daina's Delight' (Daina's Delight Pitcher Plant)
From Kim Magnuson of Hawaii comes this mid-'90s Sarracenia leucophylla hybrid (Sarracenia leucophylla × Sarracenia x willisii) created by Mark Edwards of New Zealand, who named the plant after his daughter. Sarracenia 'Daina's Delight' (not Dana or Diana) brings even more coloration to the wonderful, white-top pitcher plant. Daina must have really liked rednecks, 'cause the formerly white head and neck on each 2' tall pitcher is sunburn-blister red. As with most rednecks, this one's sure to stand out in your garden. (Zone 5-9)

and the origin of "Dana"

Who developed S.x'Dana's Delght'?

Mark Edwards wrote at 2007-05-20 00:18:11
Danas Delight is a New Zealand hybrid and was created by me and named after my daughter Daina (spelling error at the TC lab). It is a very red clone of leucophylla x Willisii which Kim Magnuson had put into culture in Hawaii.

Jacob Farin wrote at 2007-07-03 21:44:45
Thank you Mark for writing in! I've spoken to Kim about this, and he did confirm that he only assisted you in registering the hybrid.

It's too bad the lab misspelled your daughter's name. I'll make the corrections on our website to reflect the correct spelling and the correct history of the plant.

Good growing!
Jacob Farin
from: http://en.allexperts.com/q/Carnivorous-Plants-711/f/developed-S-x-Dana.htm

So it appears "Daina's Delight" is correct in the sense that was what Mark intended, as that is the correct spelling of his daughters name..

but "Dana's delight" is also correct, in the sense that was the name it was actually registered with!
even though it was a "mistake", that ended up being the proper name, and it sounds like the mistake was never officially corrected..

so technically 'Dana's Delight' is correct..
and 'Daina's delight' while the plant's original intended correct spelling, was never actually officially registered or sold that way..

Scot

Thanks, Scot. That's interesting.

Back