What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

A Few Helis

Thanks BB!

Thank you Av, beautiful picture and plants as always :)

French3z: Good. They aren't as impossible as what some would have you believe. I believe anyone can grow them if they are serious about it and are willing to put a bit of effort into it.

Z: You are probably fine in the humidity department then. I would be concerned with the temperatures though. They would certainly melt with temps in the 90's. Remember when using a fan the humidity will drop. I have both a humidifier and fan blowing during the day to help keep temps down and to keep the humidity up.

Ant: Thank you! I can get pictures for you. Congrats on your first Heli!

---------- Post added at 08:53 PM ---------- Previous post was at 07:19 PM ----------

This is the best I can do without pulling them out. Av's photography skills puts mine to shame lol :-)).

Fancy H. het x minor
IMG_5044.jpg

Regular H. het x minor with undeveloped nectar spoons
IMG_5046.jpg

H. 'Tequila' that recovered from heat damage
IMG_5047.jpg

nice plants! H. 'Tequila' and the genetically different H. heterodoxa x minor look great!

Beautiful setup Crystal! Nice to know they'll grow in such warm conditions.

Just a thought, why do you shut off the fan and humidifier at night? I got the steeper HL cooling (down to 40*F inside the grow chamber at night in mid winter) by leaving the fan and humidifier running 24/7 and pulling air from the surface of the window. Instead of new lights I'm relatively sure if you had colder temps you could bring out the colors like you want. It seems to be some kind of cold + bright light combo which does it.

Thanks Ant, those two are probably my favorites right now.

swords: Thank you! Yes, it really is amazing what conditions some plants can tolerate if acclimated properly. At night the humidity is naturally high. I also hate having to fill up the humidifiers. Running them at night would double the amount I'd have to fill them. What can I say, I'm lazy in some departments :). I don't feel the possible temperature drop that I could achieve would really be worth it, then again I've never tested it. I could probably get the temps into the low 60's. It is the cooler temps and bright lighting that brings out the coloring. Due to my temperatures I can't use T5s right now. I hope to be acquiring a basement in the near future though ;).

I really urge you to try it for a few weeks and see if they start to color up for you. Since we have pretty much the same lighting setup I'm pretty sure you're good there.

My winter growing succulents begin putting on their crazy winter colors (and pushing out blooms) once the temps drop and stay below 70*F at night.

Is your humidifier on a humidistat or does it run continually when it's on? I used a humidistat set to 80% on my LL and HL chambers and then only had to fill my tanks every two days, sometimes every 3rd day.

I'd have to buy all new power strips and everything to be able to run it without my lights. It would honestly be too much trouble. Lighting is my main issue with color. I can't keep the sunshine bulbs running long enough to see exactly how colorful they can become with just that one change. By the time I start seeing a hint of color, my fixtures decide to blow the bulbs. I now have everything moved down to the shelf with the new fixtures. All that I have left to do is pick up some more sunshine bulbs.

Yes, my humidifier has to run continually. The shelf it blows into has an exit for the fan to push out the warm air. The humidity never builds up and requires a constant supply.

nice plants! H. 'Tequila' and the genetically different H. heterodoxa x minor look great!

The Heliamphora heterodoxa x minor is not "genetically different" at all; rather, it is insufficient light that causes the nectar spoons to remain undeveloped. If any Heliamphora is grown in low-light conditions, not only will the same thing occur but the shape of the leaves themselves will become attenuated -- even flattened and unrecognizable.

Given sufficient light, the nectar spoons on that plant will not only form but be larger than most other species and hybrids. Here is a shot of a 2009 division from my large plant . . .

Heliamphora heterodoxa x minor (division)
HETXMINOR.jpg

Actually Bella that particular H. het x minor is genetically different. It is NOT the typical clone in circulation. Please see Av8tor1's picture on page 2. He has both the genetically different clone and the normal clone; they look nothing alike. Even in my conditions, they look nothing alike.

Crystal

Actually Bella that particular H. het x minor is genetically different. It is NOT the typical clone in circulation. Please see Av8tor1's picture on page 2. He has both the genetically different clone and the normal clone; they look nothing alike. Even in my conditions, they look nothing alike.

Crystal

Really? The leaves just look attenuated to me. A couple plants that were over-shaded were identical to that . . .

I need to get off this forum. Topics like this are making me rabid to get my CP Setup ready, and I don't have any money for it right now! Ugh!

Bella, Av has both clones, grown in the same conditions. They look absolutely nothing alike. My two clones are grown in the same conditions, just one was further from the humiditifer. Mine look nothing alike, it's not due to conditions. They are different clones. I'll see if I can get a picture from him of his 'normal' clone to compare.

Lol NeciFiX, you know the CPs will win in the end ;).

---------- Post added at 10:29 PM ---------- Previous post was at 10:03 PM ----------

Photos used with permission.

Plants under the exact same conditions.

The 'normal' H. het x minor clone:
heterodoxa_x_minor.jpg

The 'fancy' H. het x minor clone:
helihybrid2.jpg

It has been mentioned the 'fancy' (for a lack of a better name) could possibly be a hybrid with the Ptari Tepui variety of heterodoxa seen here: http://wistuba.com/01b021930e071c31f/01b021932610fda1e/01b0219333144865e/502790948f0a7df12.html

The regular clone of heterodoxa is from Gran Sabana

I believe there is a conversation about this somewhere on the ICPS forum.

Yay, this turned into a huge heli picture thread! :-D

That second, "fancy clone" still has prominant nectar spoons but closely resembles my H. sarracenioides grown under your conditions. The photo I had seen and commented upon didn't look remotely like yours; and your plant can still be recognizeable as H. heterodoxa x minor.

I had seen a number of Heliamphora in the wild during the late 1990s and even seemingly minor environmental differences (shading, water supply, etc.) resulted in either stunted or attenuated growth; however, on the far side of the spectrum, extremely large, brightly colored plants of the same species could be seen under more optimal conditions. I recall seeing so much variability among the same species as to make some almost unrecognizable.

Is your plant a site-specific clone?

Bella, Av has both clones, grown in the same conditions. They look absolutely nothing alike. My two clones are grown in the same conditions, just one was further from the humiditifer. Mine look nothing alike, it's not due to conditions. They are different clones. I'll see if I can get a picture from him of his 'normal' clone to compare.

Lol NeciFiX, you know the CPs will win in the end ;).

---------- Post added at 10:29 PM ---------- Previous post was at 10:03 PM ----------

Photos used with permission.

Plants under the exact same conditions.

The 'normal' H. het x minor clone:
heterodoxa_x_minor.jpg

The 'fancy' H. het x minor clone:
helihybrid2.jpg

It has been mentioned the 'fancy' (for a lack of a better name) could possibly be a hybrid with the Ptari Tepui variety of heterodoxa seen here: http://wistuba.com/01b021930e071c31f/01b021932610fda1e/01b0219333144865e/502790948f0a7df12.html

The regular clone of heterodoxa is from Gran Sabana

I believe there is a conversation about this somewhere on the ICPS forum.

Nice plants, I like the comparison. The difference just seems to be the connection to the nectar spoon from the pictures only, are there any other obvious differences I can't see, like pitcher height?

BB... sorry, but no

Ant, color and to some degree pitcher shape... but as the images show its mostly color and hood.
I agree with Bella, culture can make a dramatic difference on plant appearance. But in this specific case that is not the issue.
Both of these plants grew side by side under the same conditions.

HTH's
Av

Back