What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

My first Heli! xTequila

• Thread starter dashman
  • Start date
My first Heli. I am glad it was Tequila. It was a little damaged during shipping, but not too badly.

Seems to be a fast grower. This new pitcher started growing just last week and now this. There is also another growth point emerging out of the moss. There may be one or two more, but I am not going to go rooting through to find out.

Does anyone know what the lineage is? I can't seem to find any info on it and from what I can tell, it was a fairly secretive cross by EP. Is this still the case?

helitequila.jpg

Congrats.

Unfortunately I haven't found this a very easy plant to grow. It's even slower than some of my pure species heliamphora.

Im sure you have seen this, but just in case
http://pitcherplants.proboards.com/index.cgi?board=heliamphora&action=display&thread=5777&page=1

They are a very robust and hardy plant.... the various clones can be very different in appearance and personality

HTH's
Av

I am sure I have, but not since I have aquired one. Thanks for the pics! I have to admit, seeing some of your pics is what sparked my interest in helis.

I love this one from Geoff. I hope mine forms a necter spoon such as this one day.

I can't post the URL for this topic from across the pond (33109) so here is the pic.

heli.jpg

---------- Post added at 11:32 PM ---------- Previous post was at 11:25 PM ----------

Im sure you have seen this, but just in case
motherwithtwins.jpg

Oh Wow!

My first Heli. I am glad it was Tequila. It was a little damaged during shipping, but not too badly.

Seems to be a fast grower. This new pitcher started growing just last week and now this. There is also another growth point emerging out of the moss. There may be one or two more, but I am not going to go rooting through to find out.

Does anyone know what the lineage is? I can't seem to find any info on it and from what I can tell, it was a fairly secretive cross by EP. Is this still the case?

The Australian breeders at Exotica Plants have been playing this one close to the vest for several years; and there are some who believe that H. x "Tequila is not an artificial hybrid at all but simply a variant of H. tatei, H. neblinae, or a naturally-occurring hybrid.

I have seldom seen two plants which looked the same, but I agree with those who consider it simple to cultivate. Mine grows like a weed and flowers every year . . .

Thanks for the info. I am glad to hear many find it easy to grow. I can't wait to get some more once I let this one grow out a bit to insure I can suit heliamphora's conditions.

---------- Post added at 12:35 AM ---------- Previous post was at 12:26 AM ----------

Congrats.

Unfortunately I haven't found this a very easy plant to grow. It's even slower than some of my pure species heliamphora.

Sorry to hear that Jeff. I cannot offer any advice unfortunately. :) Only time will tell if mine will do any better.

This green plant will turn red?

Picture039-1.jpg

Yes, the more light you give it, the redder it gets. I suspect Butch uses a mini-fusion reactor for his heli tank. :)

Yes, the more light you give it, the redder it gets. I suspect Butch uses a mini-fusion reactor for his heli tank. :)

The clones, I have found, vary in color; my plants generally remain on the greener side, even when other Heliamphora -- grown right alongside -- are bright red. But I have never seen those clones with that large oval nectar spoon that "dashman" posted . . .

Good to know. Thanks.

It the Nibblonian Dark Matter Reactor model 6A

:0o:

i just recieved mine as well its very tightly packed with sphagnum no of which is alive looks healthy think i should loosen the top a bit and add a little live sphag. ??? dont have a pic yeat but will in a day or so

---------- Post added at 04:25 PM ---------- Previous post was at 04:17 PM ----------

here it is
terr+forum+spec.jpg

Great heli to start with. I have been unsuccesful in finding one, but will someday. Sure is a beauty. I didn't realize the clones could be so different. I've only had helis for a year, and man these things grow so darn slow. Butch the coloring on yours is phenomenal!

Looking good Jimmy!

Sorry to hear that Nightsky. I'm sure you will find one soon.

Is there an audible wump when the lights flash-on and do the pots shake?

ummm doesn't everybody's? ???

i just recieved mine as well its very tightly packed with sphagnum no of which is alive looks healthy think i should loosen the top a bit and add a little live sphag. ??? dont have a pic yeat but will in a day or so

---------- Post added at 04:25 PM ---------- Previous post was at 04:17 PM ----------

Jimmy, very nice example....and of same clone I believe.
nice score

Av

Av-

Which clone is it B or C?

Thanks

Pip

---------- Post added at 01:38 PM ---------- Previous post was at 01:28 PM ----------

BTW

Found these a while back. Looks like five different clones in cultivation.

Clone A- http://i95.photobucket.com/albums/l159/ep1_03/teqa.jpg
Clone B- http://i95.photobucket.com/albums/l159/ep1_03/teqb.jpg
Clone C- http://i95.photobucket.com/albums/l159/ep1_03/teqc.jpg
Clone D- http://i95.photobucket.com/albums/l159/ep1_03/teqd.jpg
Clone E- http://i95.photobucket.com/albums/l159/ep1_03/teqe.jpg

I grow two of these clones. One is extremely vigorous and the other is slow as molasses! :blush:

Pip

Av-

Which clone is it B or C?

Thanks

Pip

ummmm honestly ???

I always tell people its one or the other... but tequila is more a grex than anything, errr I think LOL

So I dont know if it can even be limited to 5 clone designations

No official description exist
Av

hey dashman how is that tequila doing , mine is growin very fast , it also started a new growth point , do these guys do this well for most growers. my minors dont seem to grow quite this fast , to this point any way. I'm still fairly new to heliamphora.

hey dashman how is that tequila doing , mine is growin very fast , it also started a new growth point , do these guys do this well for most growers. my minors dont seem to grow quite this fast , to this point any way. I'm still fairly new to heliamphora.

As a rule, Heliamphora hybrids (both natural and horticultural) are generally more vigorous and fast-growing than the individual species, which explains the slower growth of your H. minor . . .

Back