What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Cobra Plant

Thanks SK. I didn't put mine outside yet because it snowed and everything, but I was wondering if I should. It just didn't seem like a good idea to put something from inside tempatures to snow.

i wouldnt do it...the plant is in active growth, and as much shock as its already in, i dont think you would want to put it through more.

Thats what I thought. Thanks for clearing that up.

I second what Kris said. It looks dried but I've seen plants come back from that remarkably. Especially with these more "difficult" plants, it's often the case that patience is the no. 1 skill to learn. Try not to bother it, for at least four weeks. Since you've already put it into dry conditions you don't have to worry about adjusting how much humidity it gets or anything - just stick it in a bag or a tall widemouth jar and keep it watered. The moisture evaporating from the media and transpiring through the plant itself will be enough to satisfy its need for humidity.
You might try watering by misting. Not for humidity, but because the leaves are desiccated. They look bad, but I let one of my plants bake in the summer sun with the pot totally dry for a whole day or more. The leaves looked very much like yours, but after keeping it very wet it came back and remarkably showed almost no damage just a few days later. (It looked so bad I almost threw it in the trash out of frustration when I first found it.) I'm not sure drenching it is the way to go in your case, but I don't think that keeping the leaves moist could hurt. Perhaps someone else can chime in on that point?
~Joe

I got this plant from Lowes. I took it out of the death cube and put it by my window, because it was about 40 degrees F. that day.
This is a good recipe for shriveling up almost any plant. Take it from a very high humidity environment, disturb the roots (assuming you transplanted it) and transfer to a very low humidity environment. Some plants will deal with the shock & put up new growth, others will just die.

Back