What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

S. Luecophylla "Tarnok"
S. Purpurea
S. "Judith Hindle"
S. Scarlette Belle
S. Rubra
S. x "Dana's Delight"
S. 'Doodle Bug'
S. 'Lady Bug'
S. 'Love Bug'
S. 'Red Bug'
S. x catesbaei
S. WRIGLEYANA
S. DIXIE LACE
S. MARDI GRAS
S. Flava (yellow trumpet)
S. Minor
S. "Starry Night"
S. Alata red throat x flava
S. (Rubra x Oreophila) x (Oreophyla x Flava)
S. Alata x Minor
S. Bog Witch
S. White Sparkler
S. Rubra Gulfensis (anthocyanin free)
S. Snake Charmer
S. Mitchelliana X Willisii
S. Ladies in Waiting
S. Flava
S. Luecophylla x Willissii

That is my grow list of named sars. I have about 20 that don't have tags and I don't know what they are. In the spring I plan to take pics of them and ask for IDs so I can get them all labeled.

Right now my question is, can anyone help me with iding these plants a little further? What I mean is, the ones that are named Ladies in Waiting, Starry Night, Bog Witch, etc. - can anyone tell me the crosses that make up these plants? The Bug collection, etc. What plants were crossed to make these plants? I would like to add that info to my list so I will know more about the plants that I have.

Also, any that are listed with the cross name and not a common name, can anyone tell me if common names for those exist? I would hate to purchase a plant by its common name only to find out it is exactly the same plant I had but I have it listed by cross names instead. Does this make sense?

Please don't guess, if you aren't sure your answer is right, don't tell me because I don't want to mislabel anything. I would appreciate all the help I can get in properly labeling all my plants. Thanks!

Kristi

Have you check the cp photo finder? A lot of the cultivars will have the crosses labeled at the top of the page. For example:
S. 'Mardi Gras' is listed as (leucophylla x purpurea) x (leucophylla x psittacina)
S. 'Wrigleyana' is listed as [psittacina x leucophylla]
etc...

I've never heard of that - what is the CP photo finder? Where do I find it?

I am trying to figure out how to use it. I have found some of them on there, and had updated my list with the cross info. I still can't find info for starry night, bog witch, or snake charmer. So if anyone knows that makes these crosses, I would appreciate it. Thanks!

The ICPS newsletter lists the official descriptions of Sarracenia cultivars, I believe. The person that developed or registered the cultivar doesn't always know what the cross is, but the information is usually there in the description if it's anywhere.
~Joe

Cultivars in " " are not yet registered, while those in ' ' are, so you may have a more difficult time finding the origins of those that are not. Such as S. "Starry Night" and S. "Bog Witch". Others may just be too new, I've never heard of S. "Snake Charmer" before.

Your best bet would be to see if you can track down where it came from or mass post in forums with the hopes that the person who created it will chime in and help you out. Like seedjar said, in some cases plants are the results of open pollination so you may not have a direct answer. Example would be S. 'Cobra Nest'. -- Parentage unknown

I have about 20 that don't have tags and I don't know what they are. In the spring I plan to take pics of them and ask for IDs so I can get them all labeled.
The only accurate method of knowing each plant's genealogy is to purchase it from someone who knows it's background.** Doing anything else is guessing (no matter how much of an educated guess) & results in inaccurate labeling - which contributes to many mislabeled plants when traded or sold.

While it obviously hurts no one to ask for people's educated guesses as to what parents any plant may have had - I would stop short of using those guesses as a true ID. There are far too many complex hybrids out there whose backgrounds cannot be determined - even many simple hybrids are practically impossible to determine with certainty ... JMO

** - assuming hybrids. Most pure species can probably be identified with reasonable accuracy...

I have "Snake Charmer". The cross is (((Psittacina x Rubra Wherryi) x unknown Rubra) x Minor var Okefenokeensis).

I've seen people label S. x "dana's delight" as S. leucophylla x willissii. I'm not sure how accurate that is. I would stick with x "dana's delight". I've also seen people label S. x "scarlet belle" as S. x "wrigleyana". It has cultivar status for a reason, I don't know what you gain by naming it something else.

S. x "white sparkler" is S. (jonesii X purpurea) X leucophylla. S. x "ruffled sparkler" is also S. (jonesii X purpurea) X leucophylla. For that reason (among others) I wouldn't recommend labeling your white sparkler by its parents.

Thanks guys! I want to know the parentage just for my own purposes and so I don't accidentally duplicate plants. Some of these are expensive to buy, and I don't want to waste it on a plant that I already have. Some people sell them by their parentage info, and some by the cultivar name. So I want both for my plants just so I can hopefully not duplicate plants when I am purchasing. Most people who sell them are knowledgeable about parentage, but on ebay not everyone is, and that is where I mostly look.

I just got a handful of those Botanique hybrids: "ruffled sparkler" "white sparkler" "red sumatra" "titan" "fuchsia". I'm excited to see them in action.

What is bog witch like?

What is bog witch like?

I'm not sure, I just got it in trade and it is dormant. I can't wait to see it this spring.

The "Bug" series are trade-marked/patent pending and are creations of Dr. Larry Mellichamp at the University of North Carolina Botanical Gardens. Some information can be found in the US Patent Office database or queries can be addressed to Dr. Mellichamp.

Hi Back2eight,

Nice collection of sarrs! Good job.

It's nice to know the crosses that make up hybrids. It helps me determine the influences that each of the parents has made and helps in decision-making for future crosses I might make in years to come. If you haven't attempted this yet, you probably will.

Now...I hope I'm not insulting you here: make sure you understand the difference between the name given to a cross made between sarracenia...and a cultivar name (this is the "common name" you mention. Sarracenia x wrigleyana is the name given to Sarracenia leucophylla x psittacina. Any cross made between these two plants is called x wrigleyana. When a grower has a really special x wrigleyana that displays unique physical or cultural characteristics, he/she gives that plant a cultivar name . Therefore, a leucophylla x psittacina made by another grower is both the same and different. It's a wrigleyana by cross definition, but not a 'Scarlet Belle,' for example. which is a cultivar of wrigleyana.

I keep track of cross names, cultivar names, and the lineage of my sarracenia for the exact reason you do. I just want to know what I have in my collection. I keep track, though, so that I can keep very accurate records when I cross plants every growing season.

As your collection grows, be sure to keep these records stored somewhere and assign a number to each of your plants so you can keep them separate. I have a number of flava ornatas, for example, and assign a different number to each so I can track where they came from, how long they've been in my collection,...

Good luck...good growing!

Oz

Yes, Oz, thats exactly right! I haven't made any crosses, but I do like to know what they are so I can have as detailed information as possible. Thanks for that info.

It's important to keep this kind of information, even if a grower never makes his own hybrids. You may pass along some of your plants in trade and a future owner would like to have that info.

Back