What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

New Cephalotus

Wolfn

Agent of Chaos
My new Cephalotus arrived today, and here it is. I re-potted it into a larger pot with fresh soil (2 parts perlite, 1 part sand, 1 part peat). The plant was already uprooted when it arrived, so I needed to repot it anyways.

Also, I got this new camera yesterday, so I apologize that the quality isn't the best. I'm still experimenting with the camera to see how to take pictures better.

NewCephalotus2.jpg

not much to look at yet but it'll get better!

Using the tray method probably isn't a good idea, cephalotus's environment is basically wet and then dry over and over again.

Using the tray method probably isn't a good idea, cephalotus's environment is basically wet and then dry over and over again.

There is no water in the tray. I just use the tray to catch any excess water and to keep mud and water off my desk.

The tray method is fine... I don't know why everyone thinks Cephalotus needs to have perfect conditions. I fill the tray with water and let it dry out for a couple of days in between waterings. Otherwise give it water, ignore it, and it'll grow.

Phil

I too have successfully used the tray method with Cephalotus -- for years. My general advice to those new to the genus is to keep it a bit on the "drier side of the spectrum" and to avoid saturating the plant crown itself . . .

The tray method is fine... I don't know why everyone thinks Cephalotus needs to have perfect conditions. I fill the tray with water and let it dry out for a couple of days in between waterings. Otherwise give it water, ignore it, and it'll grow.

Phil

Quoted for truth. I can't think of any reason not to use the tray method in this manner.

xvart.

I've read speculation that many first time Cephalotus growers actual do not water their plants enough to keep them alive. Upon hearing that too much water is the usual cause of Cephalotus death they give insufficient water. When the plant starts to decline they further cut back water and so on.... until... HELP!

That's pretty much how I keep my outside Cephs in the spring, summer, fall (along w/ VFTs & Sarrs). If rain keeps them full for more than a few days, I empty them. If they dry out for more than a few days, I water them.

Inside the house (windowsills & terrariums), I tend to avoid having them sitting in water for more than a day (water should be gone by the following am - although I can't say I watch all that closely).

I water mine once the substrate seems pretty dry -- not brick, but solid-dry, anyway, then I water around the edges of the pot. Of all the CPs I grow, I'd say it's the one I water the least. Cephs, like skunks, have a few warning signs they give before going over the edge. I know I've waited too long between waterings if the pitchers' lids start to close, and with some watering they'll open again and be back to normal. In extreme cases, the pitchers will wilt and become soft and withered -- if this happens of course you must water immediately! When you over-water, as I once did, the developing pitchers and growth points will start to brown before they reach full development. Remember, don't pay too much attention to it or it will die right away. Staring is okay, but excessive fawning over the plant, especially the kind of fawning that involves a little "extra nourishment" (more water) or "love" (fertilizer), should be avoided :D .

Take a few leaf cuttings once it makes a few more leaves, this ensures that you have extras if this one kicks the bucket. But keep in mind that cephs also occasionally die down to their roots and come back from new growth points -- don't throw it away unless it's brown mush!

I think you'll have much better success this time, with that size of a pot. I think the problem people have with using the tray method is when their pots aren't tall enough and the Ceph's roots are actually sitting in water. However, my baby has been growing for a year now in a 7 inch tall pot. The tray normally only has 1/4-1/2 inch of water and it normally dries out a day before it's watered the next time.

But yeah, the Ceph and all my sundews are pretty neglected from attention- while I'm away at school for up to 2 months at a time, my mom fills up the tray once or twice a week. She knows extremely little about carnivorous plants, but it shows you that all you need to to is keep them moist if you have a good light setup and the plants are growing in an appropriate soil. My mom's the best.

When I grew my Cephalotus from a youngling to a large, mature, adult. I used a small tray. I didn't use a very deep tray, but, I let the water that drained out sit in the tray until it evaporated, then get dry, and repeat.

My Cephalotus is growing really fast. It's producing a new pitcher every week.

I'm going to try and get some pictures of everything tomorrow.

Back