What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Cephalotus seed - When is it produced?

I'm looking to get some Cephalotus seed for a project I'm working on. I've got a couple of small cephs and was wondering if it still takes years after a ceph produces mature pitchers before it will flower? Does anyone know the effect of red or blue spectrum lights on flowering of Cephalotus?

Xantius

I'm looking to get some Cephalotus seed for a project I'm working on. I've got a couple of small cephs and was wondering if it still takes years after a ceph produces mature pitchers before it will flower? Does anyone know the effect of red or blue spectrum lights on flowering of Cephalotus?

Xantius

It generally takes between three and five years for a Cephalotus to reach flowering maturity; though I have had plants which took somewhat less time than that -- but they were more the exception . . .

Cephalotus follicularis -- Spring 2009

CEPHFLOWER.jpg

It generally takes between three and five years for a Cephalotus to reach flowering maturity; though I have had plants which took somewhat less time than that but they were more the exception . . .
.... and there's no guarantee that they'll flower once mature...

So far, I've not had any of my windowsill or Terrarium Cephs flower - just the ones that overwinter w/ the VFTs in the basement (& not all of them). Oddly enough, for the past few years, it has typically been one of the smaller Cephs that decides to flower. Ones that are much larger & in the same conditions (same tray!) have been content to watch the smaller ones flower. Go figure! :scratch:

My kitchen windowsill Cephalotus flowered for the first time this year. I have had the plants for coming up to three years and it had three mature pitchers when I received it.

Back