What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Size does matter

When measuring the size of a cephalotus pitcher do you include the lid in the length? I have seen some claims of 3" hummer pitchers. If that doesn't include the lid that is impressive if not than it isn't that much bigger than a typical cultivar. I am debating whether to get a n. jamban or a ceph HG for myself for my birthday next month. Thanks.

Keep it on the dry side or it will rot.

If you have the HL conditions I personally would go for the Nep, mainly cos I have a Ceph (typical) but I really want a jamban someday. Neps are great due to the ease of which they can be propagated from cuttings after just a couple years. I've heard this newer species (since I was last in the hobby) is quite fast to vine and I like it when Neps are vines.

Edited:

Yes when you measure the size of the ceph pitcher you include the lid also since its part of the the pitcher and plant. but its all comes to personal. I for myself don;t really care about the lid. since the size of the lid don't impress me, but the size of the pitcher does.

Last edited:
that's actually a hard choice heehee. hhhhhmmmmm, wel I think I would go with the ceph HG.

i think for sure the hummers are different in size , just for reference,
here is a hummers giant . its 2 inches, 1 inch if pitcher, 1 inch if lid, but look at that lid.
I just love these plants. both small and large.
cephy+beauty+rrim.jpg
And here's a three and a half year old reg ceph beside the same hummer,
the two plants are about the same age , though ive only had the hummer for 3 to 4 months,
and have had the reg. about two years.
also+cepht+trim.jpg

N. jamban is easy as hell, personally id go with it.

You could get a nice sized N. jamban: Neps for trade/sale
I already got the darker variant,
and the hamatas are gone. I think only the macro is left.

A Hummer's Giant looks like a regular Ceph because it is a regular Ceph (just a special clone)! I'd go for the jamban if I were you, mostly because I have a preference for Neps.

Well, for a nep, if you want to take a cutting you first have to wait for it to grow to a reasonable size and then try to root it. For a ceph, you can just take a leaf, put it in peat, and sprout a new plant.

What I'm saying is buy a nep now and if you still want a ceph later, ask all your cp buddies if they'd send you a leaf on the trades forum.

I would prefer a Cephalotus because they are more compact. With a Nepenthes, they vine and will eventually outgrow their space. A Cephalotus stays compact and is much neater.

i dunno, both have their perks. while it's true that neps do vine, i'd they're a heck of a lot easier to propagate. plus with regular pruning you'd be able to get like a small bush or something. :p

yeah, I'd consider N. jamban to be an easier plant to take care of. It's because of the darn Cephalotus that i couldn't keep my highland and lowland plants together during the day.

Well it comes down to personal preference. But if it were me choosing, I'd go jamban. I like neps so much. Cephs are great, but so slow to grow, and are touchy, and for the most part one ceph looks like another. But if space is an issue, go ceph for sure.

Amphirion". It's because of the darn Cephalotus that i couldn't keep my highland and lowland plants together during the day."
IMG_0896.JPG

amphirion,
not sure what you mean?
i grow my cephs out on the shelf with my intermediate nep's. and sundews, not in either of my terrariums.And put them out side all summer, in the mini bogs sitting on the surface, i just barely dig them in say an 1/2 inch or so, and watch very closely to not let them dry out,they seem to love the full sun treatment ,how were you growing yours?
or how do you grow yours?

currently i'm growing my cephalotus along next to my highlander neps and heli. it's doing quite fine, and hasn't skipped a beat since i got it (new pitchers are maturing, really only lost one leaf-but it was an old one).

prior to getting the cephalotus, (dont cringe) i placed my jamban, talangensis, H. hispida, along next to my petiolaris sundews and mexican pings. the setup was nice since i was able to save on energy (lights) and i placed the plants into a cooldown tank for the night--a little inconvenient, but the plants didnt seem to mind.

all that changed when i got my cephalotus, when 6 hours later after introduction to this set up, i noticed a slight droop of the pitcher's hoods. then i realized putting the ceph in the tank wasnt a great idea, needless to say, i moved it and all my highlanders into a new tank with much more cooler temperatures than the first tank. but in all fairness, my cephalotus wasn't entirely to blame; N. mikei is not really tolerant to high tempereatures either. nothing's dead yet so :)

i live in a condominium so outdoors really isn't a choice for me, which was why i chose most of the plants on my growlist. anywho, both tanks (10 gal) are growing under their seperate 65W CF 10,000K lights. as for watering, i gave my cephalotus a quarter inch of water in the tray on the day i received it--and havent watered it since (that was a week ago)--the soil is still damp, so im not in any rush to water it.

Thanks for all your input. I think I am going to go with the jamban. I already have a few ceph typicals. One of them has almost 2 inch pitchers if you count a vertical lid. (I still don't like the idea of counting the lid.) I love the contrasting coloration and bowel shape of the jamban pitchers. Thanks.

Back