What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Frost vs emerging Sarracenia flowers

Baylorguy

"Oh, now he's a philosophizer"
Hi all -

I have two questions here that I am hoping to get answered since I have received conflicting advice.

1. My flavas are sending up flower stalks already. I checked the weather and this next weekend we are getting down to 24. Will this kill the flowers and do I need to protect them? If so, how?

2. Will my Sarracenias grow noticeably better if I clip the flowers off? All plants are in minibogs that allow for deep root growth and are in full sun outdoors.

Phil

Maybe you can try insulating the flowers by putting a cover on them?
I can't say for sure if 24 degree weather will kill the flower buds since we don't usually get temperatures below freezing here in Cali for extended periods, so I will defer that part of the question to others in similar climates.

Hi all -

I have two questions here that I am hoping to get answered since I have received conflicting advice.

1. My flavas are sending up flower stalks already. I checked the weather and this next weekend we are getting down to 24. Will this kill the flowers and do I need to protect them? If so, how?

2. Will my Sarracenias grow noticeably better if I clip the flowers off? All plants are in minibogs that allow for deep root growth and are in full sun outdoors.

Phil

Wow, I am here in San Antonio and I just registered here to ask those same questions ! Man, from 75 - 80 degree highs to upper 20's for the low's 3 days later. And I just noticed today, a bunch of flower buds on my sarrs.

They're tired of sleeping?LOL that's never possible right?xD

Brokken, when you say insulate do you mean to cover all of the plants or mainly to cover the flowers? They are still quite small (3 inches tall) and so far all flava flowers. I wonder if I tape a plastic baggie over them?

Phil

---------- Post added at 07:01 AM ---------- Previous post was at 07:00 AM ----------

Wow, I am here in San Antonio and I just registered here to ask those same questions ! Man, from 75 - 80 degree highs to upper 20's for the low's 3 days later. And I just noticed today, a bunch of flower buds on my sarrs.

Yep, central Texas can be a strange place for weather :) January is always the coolest month though, so we are almost through. At least it is not 13 like we got down to a few weeks ago lol

Yep, central Texas can be a strange place for weather :) January is always the coolest month though, so we are almost through. At least it is not 13 like we got down to a few weeks ago lol

I hear ya, it got down to 17 here at my house.

Some of my sarrs and dionaea are wide awake and putting on new leaves.
Do y'all think it will hurt them when it gets down to the upper 20's this Friday ???

Here are a couple of pics ....

purp1.jpg

purp2.jpg

vft11.jpg

vft1.jpg

Here are some deep purple purps that have not woken up yet ...

purp3.jpg

purp3close.jpg

purp4.jpg

purp4close.jpg

You can get frost cloth from any hardware store or nursery, cut to lengths needed and place over entire bog. It is not expensive. Plus it can double as shade cloth in the summer!

You could just leave them out in your garage or something until the cold weather passes. At least then they're insulated a little. I lost almost two dozen VFTs that suffered from 20 degree weather a couple years back.

Here in eastern Texas it seems unnaturally warm for January. But I've only been here half a year and I'm used to Oregon winters, so it makes sense.

Thanks everyone -

Jeff, get used to it :) My brother went to A&M and what you are feeling is totally normal. What IS NOT normal is how here in San Antonio we got down to about 13 a few weeks ago. I am not really concerned about losing plants... they handled 13 just fine in my large minibogs. I am more concerned about the emerging flowers.

Southernman, I must say I am a bit jealous... you have a lot more new growth than I do. All I have right now is flowers. I wonder if there are enough of us to form something like a central Texas carnivorous plant society? I know it would be a lot of work, but who knows.
Phil

I wonder if there are enough of us to form something like a central Texas carnivorous plant society? I know it would be a lot of work, but who knows.
Phil

That would be great! Count me in :bigthumpup:

I have only been growing some easy CP's for 2 years now but my collection is getting bigger every year .... I just love em !

Hey Southernman, the raised the lows to the 30s so I think the flowers will be just fine.

Hey Southernman, the raised the lows to the 30s so I think the flowers will be just fine.

Yes, I just saw that forecast. Hopefully we wont see any more 20's this season!

My Sarracenia flava flower is now 3 inches tall! and I spotted another flower pushing up from my Sarracenia flava var rubricorpora

Back