What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Nepenthes in orchid baskets?

Ngantnier

Formerly pond boy
I have a bunch of those slated wooden orchid baskets at home , I think they are 8in in diameter and they are square. I'm wondering if these ould work for neps? If so would pure LFS be a good media, as I imagine a slatted container would dry out much faster?

Yes,
Those will work. I have seen pics of neps in them.
They will dry out faster and you will have to at least line it with LFS or something else to keep the soil in.

i put a plastic liner in the bottom and am careful to not let water stand in the bottom. I think they look very cool in these.
IMG_0825.JPG

here is lady pauline in its basket.
trim+pauline.jpg

my ventricosa has been in its basket for a year now. click on the pic in the thum nail for a larger pic of ventricosa.

Great! So if I plant directly in the basket should I use straight LFS since they'll dry out faster, or a lining of LFS and the normal 50\50 LFS orchid bark mix?

---------- Post added at 06:46 PM ---------- Previous post was at 06:45 PM ----------

And that does look very cool whiz! Nice ventricosa :)

if your not concerned about the water draining ,the LFS lining with your regular nep mix in center like a pot of the mix should be good, you may want a little extra moss to keep the mix in place , and you'll want watch for complete drying , I don't think the nep should ever dry completely it will kill it , thats why i just keep in in the pot and set in the basket in a liner.

I used to have a couple Neps in orchid baskets, but moved them to plastic pots. I think baskets would work great in the right environment or even in less favorable conditions if cared for by someone who's more attentive than me. If I remember correctly, I lined the baskets with a little coco fiber and filled them with a mix of ~equal parts LFS, coco husk chips and coarse sponge rock.

Back