What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Sarr Seedling Help

I have a number of sarrs that I've recently sprouted from seeds. As this is my first attempt, inexperience has resulted in an issue that I'd like input on.

Initially the two 6x12 trays were in a 55 gal tank. One tray has a basic sand/peat mix topped w/ chopped LFS, the other just the sand/ peat mix. I've run into an issue where the LFS is looking, well, nasty and a mold has started on the sand/peat tray. I've since removed the trays from the tank and have them open w/ one 4' 4-bulb light fixture about 10-12" up.

Can I combat this mold, and if so, how without adversely affecting the seedlings. Also, suggestions on how to minimize this the next time would also be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

Some seedlings will always succumb to mold in my experience but the best way to avoid this is to have a high RH to increase germination rates then once germination occurs, increase airflow while acclimating them to reduced RH. Neem oil can be used short term to help while the seedlings acclimate to the lower RH.

You can also try sprinkling cinnamon on the affected areas. along with air circulations and increased lighting.

Straight cinnamon? Interesting...I'll give it a shot. Wonder if I could mix it in water and mist the effected areas....

How close should the seedlings be to the bulbs?

I've never tried the cinnamon but have heard good results from using it.
In general my seedlings are no less than 8 inches away from the bulbs.

I wouldn't wet it down.

K...I'll put it on "full strength" and report back on the results.

Dang! I have never heard of cinnamon as an anti-fungal. I wonder if it would work on my nepenthes cuttings.

I will try this as soon as I get home.

Back