What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Sarr seed sprouts under attack

I've got a bunch of Sarr seeds (Pyro/adnedarn's giveaway) that are just starting to germinate, and a couple of them have fungus on them. I can't get a clear picture of the fungus, but here's what I do have.

What should I do? I've never treated plants that weren't even "seedlings" yet. Spray with neem oil, sprinkle cinnamon, or something else?

I should note that I still have this pot covered in saran wrap because most seeds have not germinated, so anything I spray in there will get no ventillation.

Those are the seedlings roots! don't touch them, you'll be doing more harm than good.

No need to worry! :)

ROFL oh man really? *headdesk* I didn't touch them - I swear it looks like some kind of funky fungus though. I've never seen anything like that on any other sprouts, including the other Sarr seed sprouts - the others don't have this.

I can imagine the laughter every time someone reads this thread. =D

Here's two without...

LOL. How very true! :) I was pretty freaked out to see that D. capensis sprouts didn't have carnivorous leaves, thinking 'what a ripoff'...

:D

Good luck with your seedlings!

I just saw something else...here's something growing right on the seed itself. This HAS to be some kind of fungus or mold. It's greenish/gray and looks almost powdery. It's on a few seeds and it crumbles very easily to the touch.

Thats to be expected. I see a small amount of that in most pots of seeds unless I use a fungicide. I wouldn't worry to much as long as you are getting germination and it's not on all the seeds.
It should resolve itself with time and direct sunlight.

A small percentage of seeds are dead when they fall out of the pod and will usually grow fungus. It's fairly normal.

On your first picture, that is not fungus but just tiny tiny rootlets. Nothing to worry about, some are more visible than others.

On your 3rd picture though, that is fungus and as Alexis said for some nothing can be done.
There's a great saying someone has in their signature that goes:
Not all seeds with germinate...
Not all seedlings will reach maturity... etc etc...

Casualties here and there are normal, it certainly does not reflect an inability to grow care for your plants.

Congrats on the germination :) Mine just sprouted about 2 weeks ago.

How long did you stratify, French? I did six weeks, and it's been two weeks yesterday since I tossed em under my fluorescent.

How long did you stratify, French? I did six weeks, and it's been two weeks yesterday since I tossed em under my fluorescent.

I stratify all my seeds for 4 weeks. I highly recommend covering the pot to bring the RH to 100%. Fred P has an excellent guide which I am now using over my old methods.
Higher RH has brought me more success in terms of germination rate than room humidity.

http://icps.proboards.com/index.cgi?action=display&board=sarracenia&thread=949&page=1

I stratify all my seeds for 4 weeks. I highly recommend covering the pot to bring the RH to 100%. Fred P has an excellent guide which I am now using over my old methods.
Higher RH has brought me more success in terms of germination rate than room humidity.

http://icps.proboards.com/index.cgi?action=display&board=sarracenia&thread=949&page=1

Yea I've got the media about 3/4" from the top of the pot, and saran wrap with a rubber band; no holes in the saran wrap.

Thanks for the link. Bookmarked :)

Good job germinating - I think I've killed mine.

Back