What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

1- Alata X Minor
1- Flava Cupera
1- Judith hindle

Hey gang -

I am a bit upset but maybe you can cheer me up. We had a frost last night and it got down to 30. When I woke up the soil in the pots was frozen solid. I tried to wash the frost off of the flowers but was in a hurry to go to work. Needless to say my two tallest flowers are now leaning over at the top. The bottom of the stalk feels solid, but the closer I get to the bud, it feels almost mushy. Are they lost? :( If so I suppose I should just cut them off.

I am so sick of this freak winter weather we have been getting... We got up to 77 the day before and then had freezing temperatures the very next day.

Hey gang -

I am a bit upset but maybe you can cheer me up. We had a frost last night and it got down to 30. When I woke up the soil in the pots was frozen solid. I tried to wash the frost off of the flowers but was in a hurry to go to work. Needless to say my two tallest flowers are now leaning over at the top. The bottom of the stalk feels solid, but the closer I get to the bud, it feels almost mushy. Are they lost? :( If so I suppose I should just cut them off.

I am so sick of this freak winter weather we have been getting... We got up to 77 the day before and then had freezing temperatures the very next day.

Aww, there is always next spring! The pitchers are where its at anyway. I pick all my flowers off.

Aww, there is always next spring! The pitchers are where its at anyway. I pick all my flowers off.

Yeah, def looking forward to the pitchers. Got the plants today Josh, and as usual they were great. Thanks so much for the extras!

Phil

Last night I found a flower bud on a S. alata x minor.

Early to bed, early to rise. My beloved oreo is the first to show a flower bud.

P2240005.jpg

I started the daunting task of repotting and dividing my Sarracenia today. I didn't get far since it was pour rain and quite chilly out.

I notice a couple of growing points on this "John's Autumnal Splendor". The red arrows indicate the inverted points. The blue arrow indicates a flower bud. Yep, that's right it was growing down under the media. I snapped off the two point/rhizomes even though they didn't have much in the way of roots and potted them up separately.

P2270037copy.jpg

That is one massive root system.

Yeah, no kidding. I wonder where all the peat moss went. It got compressed I suppose.

Awesome. Of the 7 sars in my new bog, 3 are flowering. Thats about 11 flowers total + about 9 on my growth table. Not very many, I know. The prize goes to my flava with 6+ flowers. That was my favorite one last year. At the beggining of last year, it had one growth point and wasn't mature. :0o: Fast grower in strong sunlight and a big pot!

So far, I have around forty or more Sarracenia buds on the way (the variants of S. flava were, by far, the earliest this year), along with six Heliamphora blooms; and there will eventually be more of each in the works, along with a few Cephalotus in a month or two . . .

I demand a re-count Brokken :-))

It's only going to go up, Yann. That is... unless the dogs weed wack them with their tails like last year. I put up a wire fence to cut down on that. :)

I started the daunting task of repotting and dividing my Sarracenia today. I didn't get far since it was pour rain and quite chilly out.

I notice a couple of growing points on this "John's Autumnal Splendor". The red arrows indicate the inverted points. The blue arrow indicates a flower bud. Yep, that's right it was growing down under the media. I snapped off the two point/rhizomes even though they didn't have much in the way of roots and potted them up separately.

P2270037copy.jpg

Wow, quite interesting. How many divisions did you manage to get? :-O

I demand a re-count Brokken :-))

LOL!

Joel-

The rhizomes are rather small, not much larger than my thumb. The plant has been growing in a 5 inch pot for about 3 years. I should have repotted my Sarracenia last year but for various reasons did not. I snapped it into two pieces about 1/3 and 2/3 of the orgiinal as well as the two individual points/rhizomes. The 1/3 went back into the (cleaned and sterilized) 5 inch pot. The bigger chunk went into an 8 inch pot. The two individuals went into their own 3-4 inch pots. There's plenty of S. rubra influence in this hybrid. John Hummer likes complex hybrids with S. rubra in the mix.

No pics as of yet, but the only Sarracenia buds I see are S. jonesii, S. 'Hummer's Hammerhead' and S. rubra subsp. gulfensis. I was surprised that my S. flava var. rubricorpora and S. 'Judith Hindle' hadn't sent out flowers, being my largest Sarrs in my collection.

I will have fully awake Sarrs in a month or so. :p

Ha,
Technically I have flower buds now since some of the plants I just got from Lois have buds. Count me in as 1 alabamensis x 'Hummer's Okee Classic' and 1 unknown! Unfortunately, I broke off the bud on a 'Hurricane Creek White' as I was taking it out of the baggie.

The most flowers in a bog: About 50 of about 160 total. Mostly flava, Dana's Delight and Judith Hindle.

mar2010-themost.jpg

The biggest so far: Some flava and flava crosses. About 14"

mar2010-thetallest.jpg

Back