What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

adnedarn

I'm growing CPs in the Desert of Tucson, Az
Admin
(quoted from 2009's flower watch :p)
One of Bugweed's favorite activities was counting the flowers in his Sarracenia collection. To keep the spirit of our absent Sarracenia guru let us keep the tradition going.

Andrew

---------- Post added at 02:25 PM ---------- Previous post was at 02:24 PM ----------

This is probably the only time I'll give a break down (since I'm starting the topic) the rest will probably just be masses of bloom pics :p but let spring come! Oddly enough, I haven't even warmed up the g/h yet! I guess I should go ahead and do that some time soon if the Sarrs (and filiformis) are starting whether I do or not!

9 S. leucophylla "alba top"
1 S. (rubra x oreo) x (purp x leuco) x leuco "alba top"
2 S. leucophylla "Purple Lips"
1 S. leucophylla "Purple Lips" x flava cuprea
1 S. leucophylla "alba top" x flava ornata
3 S. leucophylla
2 S. leucophylla "Purple Lips" x flava ornata
9 S. leucophylla 'Tarnok'

So far flowers havent shown yet and it will be a good month or two before the rest show, but the ones showing signs are
S. oreophila x1 so far
S. 'Leah Wilkerson' x2
S. leucophylla x2

The mini bog garden still covered in 20 ish inch snow :(

Out of the five 6 species I own, only one has decided to 'wake up'.

4 S. leucophylla "Tarnok"

0 S. Oreophila 'Sand Mountain"
0 S. Flava
0 S. Minor
0 S. Purpurea
0 S. Rubra ssp "Jonesii"

Mine are still in the basement. lol Do you guys think I should start them now by bringing them upstairs or wait until they can go outside?

Ant, I'd wait unless they start waking up even down there... Our spring comes VERY early... We're in the mid 70s right now, but should be back in the upper 60s next week. I'm sitting here with my doors open :p

My plants are a bit late. But I predict:

S. x 'Dana's Delight', S. leuco 'Tarnok', S. purp venosa, S. alata SW LA, S. unknown (alata, or alata hybrid?), and S. flava rugelli.

Already see a 3 buds on S. leuco 'Tarnok', and I'm positive that I'll get S. flava var. ornata, S. flava var atropurpurea and S. oreophila Sand Mountain flowers. Perhaps S. purp ssp purp....also very likely some S. x'Dana's Delight', S. x catesbaei, S. minor, S. wrigleyana x flava and S. exornata x alata.

Hehe, would be fun to see if the predictions came true... :)

Already see a 3 buds on S. leuco 'Tarnok', and I'm positive that I'll get S. flava var. ornata, S. flava var atropurpurea and S. oreophila Sand Mountain flowers. Perhaps S. purp ssp purp....also very likely some S. x'Dana's Delight', S. x catesbaei, S. minor, S. wrigleyana x flava and S. exornata x alata.

Nice idea. I'm also predicting my flava will come next!

petmantis - When does your Oreophila start budding and throwing up pitchers? This is my first season with my Oreophila (received it as bare-root) and I'm already getting antsy!

Lets stick to actual flower counts. Not predictions/assumptions :)

I noticed a few buds starting to push out when I was trimming old pitchers off the other day. I didn't take note of which plants they were though. Time to replace mix, divide and repot as appropriate. And maybe address the mealybug problem. Found scale on a couple plants too. Ugh!

So far, 1 on an indoor S. purpurea. Don't know if that counts...

Everybody outside is buried under a few feet of snow and ice!

Here are mine!

x2 Sarracenia flava
x1 'Judith Hindle'
x1 Sarracenia flava var rubricorpora Liberty County, Florida
x1 Sarracenia rubra wherryi 'Chantom Giant'

I also have some pitchers being sent up from my alata and flava, and flava var cuprea!

Yeah, but everyone is TALKING about it. You know what they say: If there are no pictures, it didn't happen.

Doh! and here I thought the preference was a list and not just a bunch of pics!

Ok, you guys are on :) I'll get pics tonight.

timestamp or it didnt happen ;P

Here we go"

S. rubra wherryi 'Chantom Giant'
DSC01843.jpg

S. flava var rubricorpora Liberty County, Florida
DSC01842.jpg

S. leucophylla red x S. minor var. okefenokeensis
DSC01841.jpg

S. 'Judith Hindle'
DSC01840.jpg

S. alata Sam Rayburn Reservoir (TX)
DSC01839.jpg