What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

My Darlingtonia Lives!

-Insert Picture Here-

Ok, in all seriousness though, My Darlingtonia had a really rough first year, and I'm very glad to see that it survived. It's sent up it's first new shoots of the year.

One problem I noticed is that due to the low light it was growing in last year, the rhysome grew in a very odd way. Basically, it was in a S shape, with everything but the endpoint being dead matter right now. I trimmed off the green-but-browning leaves on the S, only to find that it's actually more of a straight line.

So should it be pointing straight up (with the roots making an L shape) or on it's side (with the roots pointing straight down?

Congratulations. :D I wish you luck for the following years.

Pictures:

008s.JPG

009s.JPG

You want the rhizome on it's side, with the roots pointing down. Just like a Sarracenia.

Maybe not, there has been discussion on planting cuttings and rhizomes 90 degrees from "normal" may induce growth points.

Back