What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

thez_yo

instigator
Pictures of the Sarr minibogs (and the vft container)...not much to see, but just in case someone's interested in how things are waking up for me (the s.rosea, d.capillaris, d.m. low giant and d.m. pink venus are new as of two days ago):

P3040104.jpg

vfts: B52, Big Mouth, Low Giant, Dente, Home Depot (regular), Pink Venus, Royal Red, Cup Trap
Drosera: intermedia X capillaris

P3040105.jpg

minor X 4, judith hindle X 2, purpurea venosa Home Depot, utric bisquamata, flava rubricorpora, oreo

P3040106.jpg

alata, rubra wherry, leuco, dana's delight, oreo, cobra's nest Home Depot, flava Home Depot

P3040107.jpg

purpurea purp hetero, rosea luteolata, rubra gulfensis green, leuco green, jonesii green, spitt green, drosera capillaris

P3040108.jpg

purpurea venosa var montana, unknown peter d'amato

P3040109.jpg

hummer's hammerhead, flava ornata black veins X 2, rubra wherry X2, up periscope

P3040110.jpg

lady bug, red dixie, ladies in waiting, psitt X minor okee, umlauftiana

Looking good! :)

my plants will look like that.. in 2 months..

Scot

Wow, nice minibogs! Very cool all green bog too :)

Where do you get your minibog pots with the water hole? I have one and can't seem to find anymore.

I've been collecting those plants for the all green bog for a couple months...thought about adding an alata veinless or an alabamensis to it for fun, but then decided against it lol.

The minibog pots are regular long planters from Home Depot, with PVC piping propped up in the corner. The piping is cut at an angle at the bottom to let the water move in and out (so only a point of the pipe is resting on the bottom to stabilize it in the medium). I wanted to maximize planting surface while also being able to see the water level in a very clean-cut way, so I put ~1.5" diameter white piping in so I can see the water level in it. I'm sure you could hot-glue it down if you wanted to, but I just slid it in and cleared most of the perlite out of it except for a couple chunks to tell me where the water level is in the black-ish peat-water inside.

minibog_tube.jpg

Oh, I thought it had a built in water reservoir and a false bottom with slits. I found one at a local nursery a few years back and have not been able to find any more. I did find them online, but they are rather expensive. I only paid 12 bucks for the same one at the local nursery. Perhaps, I just got lucky and got it on clearance.

Here is what I am talking about.

Self Watering Pot

A big plus to these is that the sarrs roots will eventually make thier way into the reservoir and spread all over the pot to form a large root system.

Very nice collection you have there by the way!

oh, sweet pot there dash! Thanks, and yeah, mine are just DIY :-D

Hey! What are you doing with MY bogs!?! ;)

Seriously, nice looking setup! :)

Thanks Brokken - I fully admit that I was reading your minibogs thread while making mine hehehe...

Very nice. Thanks for sharing!

I've considered making a mini-bog with some common Sarrs just to see how it fairs with me. Maybe next year....

Back