What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

types of sarrs

do any sarrs need diffrent care from each other. Like anything special besides the perlite and peat and normal light.

I plant all my Sarrs in the same mixture, 1 peat : 1 perlite, and they all get the same amount of sunshine and temperatures. The only pitcher that gets a little different care is S.rosea and S.purpurea, because you need to fill their pitchers with water - all other pitchers fill themselves with water through their roots.

you don't need to fill their pitchers. Let the rain do it, or when you water them naturally. I wouldn't stress about trying to fill their pitchers.

They all get the same care from me, nothing different about any of them.

Sarracenia Purpurea can also take much less light than the others. In full sun, they turn completely red/purple. In shade, they remain green with red veins:

Shade:
pitcherplant.jpg

Sun:
S_purp_purp.jpg

i think the only real differences are some are more cold-hardy than others.

And some are more sensitive to cooler temperatures. S. leucophylla will survive, but not thrive in a cooler climate, where pupurea ssp. purpurea would do well.

Now that we are on the subject of differences between Sarrs... Is is generally true that most anthocyanin-free varieties will not tolerate extreme heat/sun like their counterparts? I think I read this in passing some time ago on this forum.

Now that we are on the subject of differences between Sarrs... Is is generally true that most anthocyanin-free varieties will not tolerate extreme heat/sun like their counterparts? I think I read this in passing some time ago on this forum.

I haven't found this to be true, and mine get about 12 hrs/day in summer. Can't comment on the heat, as it rarely gets much above 90F here.

Some are adapted to drier conditions (S. oreophila, S. minor var. okefenokeensis, and S. rubra ssp jonesii, if I recall correctly). You could try a higher proportion of sand/perlite, but it probably doesn't make a difference if you just water them slightly less.

S. psittacina is adapted to wetter environments and will thrive with occasional submergings. This is to some extent true for S. purpurea also.

very interesting...sounds like my high humidity low 90's at the most summer climate will be a fun place to learn about these plants varities.

Back