What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Sarracenia oreophila . . .

Sarracenia oreophila was, again, the first to "show" in 2010, but not every plant seemed to be on the same schedule (as the second photo illustrates). Each S. oreophila is site-specific in origin and both seem quite "hard-wired" when it came to the timing of their individual development.

The species is unique among Sarracenia, in that the production of pitcher leaves and blooming occur almost simultaneously; this is probably due to its relatively short active growing cycle, which -- in its natural range -- ends when it experiences drought-like by mid-Summer and the eventual loss of its pitchers. Last year, I attempted to postpone that and its production of phyllodia by partially submerging the pots by July -- and was able to put it off in one plant and preserve its pitchers well into September . . .

Sarracenia oreophila cv. "Sand Mountain" -- March 2010
SOREOPHILA.jpg

S. oreophila cv. "Heavily-Veined"

SOREO2.jpg

I wish I could get one, but they can't be shipped without permits...:-(

Exo, S. oreophila can be shipped across state lines, you just can't sell them across state lines. They have to be a gift of purchased/traded for in your home state.

Very nice plant big bella! S. oreophila is one of my favorite sarrs.

Last year, I attempted to prevent its production of phyllodia by partially submerging the pots -- and was able to put it off in one and preserve pitchers until September.

I tried this too and succeeded. However, I didn't submerge the plant. All I did was water it more than the previous year. It made pitchers all the way up to late September in addition to some phyllodia. Two pitchers even made it through winter, and it wasn't a mild winter by any means.

Here is my plant today. You can see the pitchers that pulled through winter. I had to recently cut off their top portions as they turned brown.

P3190011.jpg

tre.jpg

My own oreos are actually lacking this year. They are just putting out buds and leaves. The first to pitcher for me was a total dark horse -no pun intended: S. rubra "Black" - way ahead of any others.

SG, try using < a href="yourlinkhere" >much shorter text here< /a >

Take out the spaces after the < and before the >, and you got a <a href="http://s212.photobucket.com/albums/cc221/tippitytwitchit/the%20plants/">LINK</a>!
DON'T, under penalty of sudden and public embarrassment, forget the quotes!

But, yeah, I know which guy you mean. ;) I got one already.

Hmm, I haven't tried this. My "Sand Mountain #2" sometimes throws up a pitcher or two in the late autumn along with a flower. It was my understanding this species like somewhat drier conditions and is more prone to rotting relative to other species if kept too wet. Especially when dormant. Who knows?

I'd be interested in a pollen exchange with another "Sand Mountain" clone, particularly a non-#2. I self-pollinated one flower last year. I'm bored with crossing it with S. leucophylla or S. rosea which are normally the only other flowers available at the same time in my meager collection.

Hmm, I haven't tried this. My "Sand Mountain #2" sometimes throws up a pitcher or two in the late autumn along with a flower. It was my understanding this species like somewhat drier conditions and is more prone to rotting relative to other species if kept too wet.

I too had heard that S. oreophila was prone to rotting, but had divided several plants early last season and thought that I could well afford a loss or two. All survived though success (measured by persistence of pitchers into the Fall) was mixed. Most simply produced phyllodia and / or attempted a late season flowering. . .

I was dividing mine yesterday in preparation for this year. Last year, I only had three growing points. This year, it is upwards of ten. I am very pleased as this is one of my favorites. I have whatever variety that Cook's sent me a few years back. Speaking of which, does anyone know if it is a particular variety or if it is just straight S. oreophila?

Finally, the first Sarracenia bloom of the 2010 season, and on just about the first day of Spring . . .

What could be mo' better? Huh? I ask you.

Sarracenia oreophila

OREOFLOWER.jpg

Oooo pretty!

Well the flowers are still a few weeks away but the pitchers are nice on my "Sand Mountain #2":
P4030046.jpg

getting Oreo's

Look up Meadowbrook Biological Research Station on the internet. If you become a member you can get Oreo's at half price. They have the required permits to ship across state lines. Nice Oreo's as well as other Sarracenia's.

Actually it's Meadowview!! Phil Sheridan's site. Great site and great plants!!

The two first pitchers (from separate divisions) fulled opened up today. The flowers are not quite in bloom yet.

P4080015.jpg

Look up Meadowbrook Biological Research Station on the internet. If you become a member you can get Oreo's at half price. They have the required permits to ship across state lines. Nice Oreo's as well as other Sarracenia's.

I thought the *receiver* had to have the permit, not the shipper?

Also, was the rumor about S. Oreo seeds being ok to sell true?

I thought the *receiver* had to have the permit, not the shipper?
Nope - although this is true for receiving shipments from overseas - both plants & seeds.

Also, was the rumor about S. Oreo seeds being ok to sell true?
No. Even the ICPS had to get a permit to distribute these seeds.

Back