What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Cephalotus: The Three Bears

I have a pot of Cephalotus that has grown in a nice little formation I call, "Momma Bear, Papa Bear, and Baby Bear". Have a look.

attachment.php

very cute....and very dark! :)

Eden Black? If not, make it a cultivar :drool:

How colorful! I guess this is why you want so many Ceph clones... you can grow really well! Make sure I can get you some more Ceph leaves later this spring. ;)

how many watts you got on those bears, Nice cehpies,:0o:
I have a hummer that came totally black and all the new pitchers are now more to the green side ???
ive got 4 t-5s at 8 to 10 inches away for twelve hours a day + south window a foot away .
Think there is a way to get them back to black?:poke:

Eden Black? If not, make it a cultivar :drool:

Nope, just great growing conditions. My Cephs are thriving.

how many watts you got on those bears, Nice cehpies,:0o:
I have a hummer that came totally black and all the new pitchers are now more to the green side ???
ive got 4 t-5s at 8 to 10 inches away for twelve hours a day + south window a foot away .
Think there is a way to get them back to black?:poke:

They are under about 30,000 lumens (6 x HO T-5s) at about 8-12" away. I would fully have expected that under your lights, that whatever cephs you got would get fairly dark. All mine are dark red to black.

Real nice cephs there!

Beautiful cephs Xan...

Jimmy, genetics also plays a very large part in how dark a ceph will get. Ive had two growing in identical conditions and one would get almost black and the other tried its best to remain green.

Av

:0o: WOW that is a really a cool looking plant. Do you do anything else special other then the HO T5 lighting to get that color.

Oh wow... That's intense!! I wish I could grow mine red like that!

I have a pot of Cephalotus that has grown in a nice little formation I call, "Momma Bear, Papa Bear, and Baby Bear". Have a look.

attachment.php

Good growin' there Xantius.

Those three dark Cephs are drool-a-licious.:-D

dvg

:0o: WOW that is a really a cool looking plant. Do you do anything else special other then the HO T5 lighting to get that color.

Nothing that I consider special, but what one person considers normal another wouldn't. My soil mix is a recipe from non other than Av8tor1, but nothing I'd consider being really different in any way. Also, my temps are usually quite cool (55 degrees to 75 degrees day to night). But as for fertilizers, treatments, spray paint, etc... none of that. :-D

Jimmy, genetics also plays a very large part in how dark a ceph will get. Ive had two growing in identical conditions and one would get almost black and the other tried its best to remain green.
I had Cephalotus 'Hummer's Giant' and "Big Boy" growing side by side for a few months and whilst both took on colour, "Big Boy" got darker colouration.

In addition, the wavelength of light can have a big effect, with the blue end causing the production of anthocyanins which are pigments responsible for plant colouration.

http://www.carnivorousplants.org/cpn/samples/Science273anthocyanin.htm

Back