What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Sarracenia Minor appears to be wilting despite all the rain

Wolfn

Agent of Chaos
I've got a Sarracenia Minor in my mini-bog on the patio. It was growing really well for a couple weeks and sent out a pitcher or two. However, we received a lot of rain over the past week, and now my Minor appears to be wilting. The leaves are still green (no sign of browning) but the pitchers appear to be really weak and have fallen to the soil.

This can't be because of lack of rain. I'm worried it might be root rot from the wet soil. Thoughts?

sickMinor1.jpg

bog2.jpg

Your funky fresh water is stagnant. It is starving your plant's roots of oxygen and breeding bad bacteria.

Sarracenia minor is one of those "odd birds" that isn't quite as tolerant of heavy watering as some other species. You may wish to back away on the moisture a bit . . .

Your funky fresh water is stagnant. It is starving your plant's roots of oxygen and breeding bad bacteria.

Sarracenia minor is one of those "odd birds" that isn't quite as tolerant of heavy watering as some other species. You may wish to back away on the moisture a bit . . .

I shall dump the water right away!!!

I have found out, about 2 years ago when I asked the same question, S. minor does not like really wet conditions as other Sarrs.

I re-potted mine in a better draining soil mix and keep it out of the tub of water, no problems with growing it now.

I shall dump the water right away!!!

The dirty deed is done. Now there's just about 1/5 inch of clean rainwater at the bottom of the tub, which should last.....about a day. I'll buy a gallon of distilled water when the tub is dry.

ahhh! I see now. Last year I had 2 S. Minor in 3 inch pots and noticed that one had the same symptoms as the picture above. Then little by little started to see the decline until it rotted away. Never understood why? until now. Gesh that means I have to repot the other one before it happens again. I am going to do 2:1 (Perlite, Peat) and a bigger pot, do any of you think this is good?

I added lava rock to my mix also.
Works great for Cobra Lilies too.

Odd. The pot is big enough to prevent waterlogging, although I've never heard minor not liking a high water table anyway.

If it's just been potted up it might take a while to settle in, especially if it has few roots. I'd just keep an eye on it - it may be just be that future pitchers are fine.

Back