What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

what species/hybrids are YOU planning on making this season?

so i am still going to cross the oreophila green x leucophylla white with leah wilkerson and vice versa.....
my leah has 2 flowers so i will be pollinating one with my purp ssp purp....atleast i think thats what it is lol....ill know once the flower is developed....its a large pitchered purp....

Thanks French3!
It's a great example of moorei and is a prolific pitcher producer too.
Just a suggestion to all the Sarr breeders. So you can keep track of your various stud plants, perhaps denote where your plant came from so you can be sure when communicating with other growers you are not talking about the same plant. For example: moorei #2 (Sunbelle) may look, and breed, very differently from moorei #2 (Dean Cook), given that Dean has more than one clone of moorei available.
Just a suggestion that could be helpful to keep track of what's what once you have groups of seedlings a few years down the road.

Great idea and reminder Trent. I can think of a few specimens I can clear up on my growlist. I have the Moorei listed properly on my growlist but not in this thread. The more info the better! Thanks Trent.

I'm planning on getting some pollen from cp-connection and Frilleon, to make pure jonesii and pure oreophila seed, respectively. That's all the seed I'm planning for this year... if I get any open pollinated seeds from my other flowering Sarrs, I will be giving them away.

Where to start, where to start.... A few of the hybrid crosses made so far:

1) 'Alucard' "Prince of Darkness" x 'Reptilian Rose' - Prince of Darkness is a select clone and the largest of the 'Alucard' group reaching upwards of 3 feet or more with 7 inch hoods. Incredible!! Can't wait to see how this turns out. I made the cross last year and the seed are just germinating, but just for the sake of it I remade it again.

2) 'Black Widow' x ('Royal Ruby' x flava var. ornata)

3) 'Leah Wilkerson' x 'Alucard' "Prince of Darkness"

4) 'Alucard' "Prince of Darkness" x 'Leah Wilkerson' - the reciprocal of the above.

5) ('Leah Wilkerson' x 'Royal Ruby') x 'Alucard' "Prince of Darkness" - Should be a wowza!

6) x moorei "Plum Wine" x oreophila (Plum Wine is a huge all red/deep purple clone of a batch of seedlings I grew out about 10 years ago.

7) x moorei "Plum Wine" x ('Leah Wilkerson' x 'Judith Hindle')

8) flava var. ornata Bulloch County, GA x purpurea montana - Should produce intense deep red stripes and veins.

9) leucophylla "Mesa Exotics" x flava var. rubricorpora "Dragon's Blood" (leuc. "Mesa Exotics" looks like "Purple Lips" on steroids, and "Dragon's Blood" is my biggest, baddest, all red flava) This cross should produce some of the largest all red x moorei ever.

10) 'Royal Ruby' x 'Leah Wilkerson' - Have made this several times. You can never have enough.

There are quite a few more..especially pure species, but I've taken up enough space here.

Too much of a bother, I'm just gonna let the flowers do their thing.

Phil... Dude. ;)

so with the appearance of another flower, i will be crossing and making the following

purp venosa x 'Leah wilkserson'

'Leah Wilkerson' x (oreo green x leuco white)

(oreo green x leuco white) x 'Leah Wilkerson'

'Leah Wilkerson' x oreo 'heavy veined'

oreo heavy veined x self

I just brushed some dubious purp venosa/purp burkei (unknown...some sort of purp) pollen on a leuco and on a jonesii green, because they're open at the same time.

As the flowers open, I look at each plant and think what would make a pretty or interesting cross.

Here are my crosses, and planned crosses. Sorry for the shorthand.

rub rub X flav. ornata
leuc X (purp X leuc)
leuc X (rub X oreo)
flav ornata X leuc
flav coppertop X flav ornata
minor X oreo SM
minor X bug pipes
(leuc X umlauf) X (purp X leuc)
(leuc X umlauf) X self {what the Heck, why not?}
(leuc X purp) X Dainas delight
(rub X oreo) X (leuc X purp)
night sky X (leuc X umlauf)
purp ven. X lfav ornata
gilpinii X bug pipes
bug pipes X (leuc X umlauf)
bug pipes X (purp X leuc)
dixi lace X (purp X leuc)
dixi X flav ornata
Unk X self
oreo SM X (purp X leuc)
formosa X bug pipes {yeah, formosa and bug pipes are practically the same. BP is made with minor okie, and formosa typical minor}
dainas X flav ornata
dainas X ....

Now here's where I got bored. Professional hybridisers, you may wanna cover your eyes! I wanted to know.... If I pollinate each stigma with a different pollen, would the seeds remain segregated in their own chamber? Here's the test: Label each stigma with a number, and apply the pollen as listed in the chart. It will be tricky opening the seed pod, but I wanna know if it'll work.

Dainas #2:
1- (purp X leuc)
2- (leuc X umlauf)
3- (leuc X umlauf) {planned flower wasn't ready yet}
4- flav ornata
5- purp ven

Dainas #3, same silly experiment:
1- oreo SM
2- oreo SM {planned flower... yanno}
3- TBD
4- TBD
5- (leuc X uml)

What makes the experiment even more un-scientific is that I messed up gathering the pollen, and may have selfed some of the stigmas. :blush: These backyard shenanigans are certainly NOT ISO certified! :-))

I can't wait for next season, when more Sarrs bloom. Judy, leuc HCW, rub gulf, alata green (N'stinky!). The alata blk X flav red (IIRC) bloomed a week early when I wasn't looking, and I didn't get any pollen. I think it selfed, though. Next year....

Stinkpot,

I remember a discussion many years ago--maybe an article in the ICPS journal--that discussed someone's efforts at pollinating segregated chambers. According to that discussion, it did work, but is difficult to keep organized. Their impetus was to get the most out of the flowering season and come away with as many crosses as possible. You just have to be careful with the organization otherwise all you end up with are lots of 'Unknown Hybrids' in the fall.

Here is what I have crossed this year...

flava atropurpurea x leucophylla antho free
Purpurea venosa x leucophylla antho free
rubra ssp jonesii x leucophylla antho free
rubra ssp jonesii x rubra ssp jonesii
rubra ssp jonesii x purpurea venosa
leucophylla antho free x leucophylla antho free

I had alot of jonesii flowers this year. :)

Last edited:
S. (rubra ssp. jonesii x minor "okee") x (minor 'okee giant' x psittacina) and many more but most exited about this one.

There is too much going on there for me to even try to picture the possible outcome(s). Sounds very interesting though!

I am pretty excited about the flava atropurpurea x leucophylla antho free cross and the Purpurea venosa x leucophylla antho free cross. Sure they have probably been done before, but they are not on my growlist.

Last edited:
And do all of yours. I love jonesii crosses as they seem to really spike colors and unique lid shapes when crossed with other species.

I do have a minor 'okee giant' flower still developing and I have purpurea venosa pollen and leucophylla antho free pollen saved. Trying to decide which one to cross it with. That is if the minor flower pulls through. It lost it's outer sheathing when it came out of it's resting bud and it looks like the female part is damaged. :(

here's what i did/am doing currently:

flava x catesbaei - selfed. not sure if that's what this plant truly is. it's an awesome plant though, it's entirely green (not AF), with yellow flowers, and looks like a short, fat flava. I figured I'd self it and maybe get some clues to it's parentage from the offspring.

[(oreophila 'Sand Mtn' x flava) x leucophylla] x (flava x catesbaei)
hoping for some tall, mostly green pitchers with this one.

'Lady Bug' x 'Flies Demise'
'June Bug' x 'Lady Bug'
'Ladies in Waiting' x 'Lady Bug'
'Lady Bug' - selfed
(leucophylla x flava rugelli) x 'Ladies In Waiting'

i also have a 'Judith Hindle', 'Doodle Bug', readii x (catesbaei x flava), and a couple more 'Lady Bug' that are about to open, so there will be crosses between those 4, not sure what with what yet though. haven't decided.

Here is what I have crossed this year...

flava atropurpurea x leucophylla antho free
Purpurea venosa x leucophylla antho free
rubra ssp jonesii x leucophylla antho free
rubra ssp jonesii x rubra ssp jonesii
rubra ssp jonesii x purpurea venosa
leucophylla antho free x leucophylla antho free

I had alot of jonesii flowers this year. :)

As it turns out I switched the tags on my flava atropurpurea and my schnells ghost when I repotted them over the winter due to a mold attack. So the following cross was made....

leucophylla 'schnells ghost' x leucophylla antho free. I was excited about the Moorei cross, but this one is good too.

Back