What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

what species/hybrids are YOU planning on making this season?

i know that as it stands im planning on crossing my oreo green x leuco white with my Leah Wilkerson and reverse, hopefully get some pure oreophila seeds too if it does decide to flower....
not too many flowers up this year, but i will do with what i can....looking like oreo, oreo x leuco, oreo green x leuco white, leah wilkerson, leucophylla, and hopefully my purp will be flowering....

we'll see....
im interested in hearing what you guys are planning on making!

oreo green x leuco white with my Leah Wilkerson and reverse

^I bet that would yield some awesome offspring!

For the first time, I have plans on making Sarr crosses. I'm going to attempt the following crosses:

-(leuco 'Red' x minor 'Okee Giant') X oreo "Alabama"
-purp "Black and Red" X oreo "Alabama"
-(leuco 'Red' x minor 'Okee Giant') X flava var. ornata

So far, I've only crossed 'Godzuki' with an unknown, some kind of flava or moorei-ish plant. I have a 'Fireworks' open now, that I'm hoping to pollinate with leucophylla "hot pink", just waiting for ripe pollen on the leuco. 3 buds on 'Snowflake' will be opening with a week or so, but i'm not sure at this point what i'll pollinate them with. haven't been in the greenhouse for a couple of days, so i'm not sure where everythings truly at, at this point.

for my outdoor stuff, buds are just starting to emerge, so it's too early to say. i don't really plan on crosses, just whatever happens to be open at the same time. that being said, my first two outdoor flowers out of the gate are 'Ladies In Waiting' and a giant x catesbaei I got from CA Carnivores years ago. Let's just say I hope they open at the same time.

---------- Post added at 10:53 AM ---------- Previous post was at 10:50 AM ----------

I am hoping to make an S. Excellens... but, my S. Leuco flower is about to open and the S. Minor still has a few weeks. What can I do to prevent the S. Leuco flower from self-pollinating?

you can collect pollen from your leuco, and store it in the fridge until the minor is open. i'm not sure it's feasible to try and prevent your leuco from getting pollinated in hopes it's still fertile when your minor opens

What can I do to prevent the S. Leuco flower from self-pollinating?

If you're not wanting seeds from your S. leuco you can just cut the style (the upside down umbrella structure) off where it meets the ovary when the flower opens. Collect your pollen by tapping the flower and shaking the pollen off onto aluminum foil.

I have a few flowers so we'll what will sound the best. Some of lookers could yield some nice offsprings. Any ideas?
S. 'Reptilian Rose'
S. Moorei
S. Moorei #2 (Sunbelle)
S. 'Leah Wilkerson'
S. alata (black) x flava (veined)
S. 'Golden Red Jubilee'

How exactly do I collect and store in the fridge? Should I use a Q-Tip to collect and then just store it in a sandwich bag?

Re: what species/hybrids are YOU planning on making this season?

I am planning on breeding a wonderful and unique CP... a beautiful expression of nature and life, that can be sold all over, to people who can easily afford it and thus won't take the time to read up on how to care for them, and who subsequently will ignore its needs, and torture it slowly under sub-standard conditions until it eventually dies.

Wait a minute, they already sell those!
Never mind!

How exactly do I collect and store in the fridge? Should I use a Q-Tip to collect and then just store it in a sandwich bag?

Q-tip or paintbrush. Sometimes you can tilt the flower and tap it so the pollen falls out onto your aluminum foil. You generally want the pollen still on the anthers rather than the pollen that has fallen on the style. It's fresher and more viable. The pollen will store for a few weeks but to ensure fertilization I was pollinate multiple times for 3-4 days in a row.

I self pollinated all the flowers my S.purpurea , so hopefully I will get some seeds this year.

I honestly have no idea how to pollinate a cross, or even how to collect seeds from a plant. In all my years of growing these plants you would think that I would have done this by now but I never have learned how to do it. I've got a bunch of flowers up right now. I'll post pics in a minute.

Probably leuco x alata if I can get the pollen into the leuco 'Tarnok' flowers. Or, if pollen is still available, 'Dana's Delight' x alata. Either way, it's going to be an alata cross.

If you're not wanting seeds from your S. leuco you can just cut the style (the upside down umbrella structure) off where it meets the ovary when the flower opens. Collect your pollen by tapping the flower and shaking the pollen off onto aluminum foil.

I have a few flowers so we'll what will sound the best. Some of lookers could yield some nice offsprings. Any ideas?
S. 'Reptilian Rose'
S. 'Moorei'
S. 'Moorei #2'
S. 'Leah Wilkerson'
S. alata (black) x flava (veined)
S. 'Golden Red Jubilee'

Hey Yann - I crossed RR with LW (and visa versa) last year and have seedlings growing now. They did not yield a ton of seed though. Why don't you do that cross and maybe between the two of us, we could get a couple of interesting plants. I would also try to cross that moorei of yours with RR if possible. The only problem I found with RR is that it didn't produce much pollen (if any) on both flowers last year. I have three flowers this year so we'll see. I would be interested to here how much pollen yours produces. I would also try the moorei #2 x (alata black x flava veined) or moorei #2 x GRJ. Both of these plants have produced some nice hybrids for me. You never really know what you're gonna get so just experiment.

I'm going to be crossing "Bud Wilkerson" x 'Leah Wilkerson' (and visa versa) this year along with a bunch of others.

this year i tried Courtii all green x Readii all green. lets see what happens

I might try 'Judith' x Rubra Gulfensis...

Hey Yann - I crossed RR with LW (and visa versa) last year and have seedlings growing now. They did not yield a ton of seed though. Why don't you do that cross and maybe between the two of us, we could get a couple of interesting plants. I would also try to cross that moorei of yours with RR if possible. The only problem I found with RR is that it didn't produce much pollen (if any) on both flowers last year. I have three flowers this year so we'll see. I would be interested to here how much pollen yours produces. I would also try the moorei #2 x (alata black x flava veined) or moorei #2 x GRJ. Both of these plants have produced some nice hybrids for me. You never really know what you're gonna get so just experiment.

I'm going to be crossing "Bud Wilkerson" x 'Leah Wilkerson' (and visa versa) this year along with a bunch of others.

Thanks Fred, those do sound like promising crosses. The trick will be the flowers opening close enough to each other, hopefully no more than a week or two apart. The LW flower has been very slow and the Moorei is aborting one of the 2 flowers. I'll collect as much pollen as I can and store it in the fridge and hopefully it'll remain viable long enough. I'll let you know how the RR pollen turns out. Thanks for the suggestions Fred, I'll give those a shot!
Still finding a few new flowers here and there coming up. My death cube rubra ssp. rubra is flowering so looks like that answers the question about tissue culture plants and flowering.

I plan on making cultivar of VFT with Piranha at teh end....

---------- Post added at 11:11 AM ---------- Previous post was at 11:10 AM ----------

I second that F R e N c H 3 z

French 3z,
Is that moorei #2 the one from Sunbelle?

Sarracenia purpurea ssp. venosa var. montana x flava var. rubricorpora - so technically yet another catesbaei.

Just crossed Umlauftiana with 'Leah Wilkerson' today.

Back