What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

different types of purp.

What is the difference between a regular purpurea and a purpurea venosa?

It would be best to look at the pics. It looks more green more veins, more clustered. If you are picking one to buy both are very nice.

Venosa has a furry texture, as opposed to the waxy feel of purpurea pitchers.

Venosa pitchers tend to be plumper with larger hoods.

Donald Schnell presents a really good discussion of the differences between the vareities of purpurea in his book. He covers all of the distinctions in detail.

Purp purp is longer, narrower, larger as a plant, is greener(in some circumstances) and the pitchers stand up on their own. Purp venosa is shorter, has a more open mouth, is hairer in the lid and is redder(in most circumstances) and the pitchers are more decumbent..

http://www.sarracenia.com/faq/faq5538.html
Fortunately, the differences between the two subspecies are fairly reliable. I recommend using the following characters.
1)The outer surface of the pitcher of the northern subspecies is smooth, glossy, and waxy, while the outer pitcher surface of the southern subspecies is rough or pubescent.
2)The hood of the northern plant tends to be smaller, and if pinched together the lateral ears barely touch, while the lateral ears usually overlap readily in the southern plant.
3)The northern species has pitchers which are overall 3 × longer than the width of the pitcher mouth; the southern pitchers are not so elongate.
4)The flowers of the northern subspecies are a darker red or purple.

You can often find individual plants that violate one or more of these characters; you must identify plants using several specimens. Think "population level"! Incidentally, not everyone is quite sure that it is correct to use the subspecies names at all. Recent research on climate variations across the continent suggest that the two subspecies may actually just be the result of climate gradients. Is it possible they will find evidence suggesting that McDaniel (as described below) was right after all, and that the subspecies should be united? Meanwhile, at least one naturalist has noted in on-line, unpublished musings that the northern plants should be divided into a coastal entity and an inland entity of as-yet unspecified rank. Would such musings bear the scrutiny of a refereed peer review process?

Thanks everybody! I'n not a big fan of purpurea, but I was noticing that the venosa sells higher than regular purpurea, but I've never seen one and was wondering why the difference. I prefer tall growing plants personally.

wow i love my purps but done know the exact typea any one want to help the dark is s. purpurea sub purpurea, the other two came in death cubes from lowes, so any ideas of the types:poke: any one?
I also have purpurea sub purpurea f.heterophylla, all green but it is slow to start this year??

I don't have good, definitive pictures, but the venosa is shorter, more squat, more full looking than purpurea. It's a little more attractive than purpurea.

My purp purp
PURPPURP.jpg

Brokken,
That is definitely a purp purp :)
it's from the northeast.

I don't doubt your word, however my knee jerk reaction to that plant would be to say that it's venosa. Just has that look to it. When I think purp purp, I imagine smaller hoods that are less ruffled and a longer body. Like this:

Sarracenia%20purpurea%20var.%20purpurea.jpg

Back