What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

The weather outside is frightful...

joossa

Aklys
Yeah... as the title says the weather has been pretty horrible this season. I still have sarrs that haven't even begun pitcher production. The temperatures are significantly cooler than normal and the wind has been destructive. A lot of the plants that have produced pitchers now have broken, bent, and dried pitchers. It's times like these I wish I had a greenhouse.

So since I don't have pictures of pretty plants here are some pictures of damaged plants....

P5210009.jpg

P5210010.jpg

P5210011.jpg

P5210013.jpg

Yeah... as the title says the weather has been pretty horrible this season. I still have sarrs that haven't even begun pitcher production. The temperatures are significantly cooler than normal...

Well, I started watering less this year, and it's been hot and sunny like it's summer. My oreophilas are already calling it a year! :crazy:

Well, I started watering less this year, and it's been hot and sunny like it's summer. My oreophilas are already calling it a year! :crazy:

Lucky you - at least your oreophilas have pitchers! Freak winds up here have destroyed every single one of my oreo's - and those were the biggest I had on the plant up to date! :p

It's been an interesting spring, to say the least :crazy:

Lucky you - at least your oreophilas have pitchers!

Not for long. The pitchers are showing lots of age spots. So much for aging gracefully.
rolleyes.gif

I know what you mean about the wind Joel. None of mine have broken but they are all copping a "mean lean". It has been extremely windy on and off for the last month or two.

my first oreo pitchers are just a couple weeks from opening lol....
but the weather up here isnt much better
we had a huge hail storm the other day that knocked the lid off of a very nice developing leah wilkerson pitcher, thankfully i got them inside the greenhouse and under the patio before any more damage was done

Yesterday it was so windy the planes were having problems...
I had to stake up my Sarrs with orchid clips.

It's so windy my Alata "RedBlack" x Flava Kimber plant actually grew a pitcher horizontally, and once the winds died down, it grew straight up as it should. It's like, taking a L and turning it counter clockwise 90 degrees.

Not gonna lie, some of my Temperates look like crap. My Cuprea looks awesome though. The dews have pretty much crapped out for the season...

Weather has sucked here also. Woke up to 3" snow yesterday. Cold and wet has really made all my outside plants take their sweet time waking up. None of my vfts have any sign of life yet. My best sarr has a flower bud about 5 " high and a pitcher shoot 4" high (flava) so it will be a while till it opens. The rest are just barely starting to show green shoots.

I hear ya about the wind though. It's my biggest problem here in the summer. Constant winds that can get very dry and hot in the summer. I'm up on a hill with higher mountains above so I have a valley breeze in the day, mountain breeze at night nearly all the time. I'm still trying to come up with a good way to support the pitchers that doesn't look like crap. It's part of the reason I grow some vfts and sarrs under lights, they look so much better without the wind problem!

Ditto here. It's the middle of May and I'm still seeing temps in the high 20s at night. Definitely weird weather. My windowsill is already full and planting them into the ground isn't an option, so I'm losing plants.

The 2 White Trumpets (one of which is a Judith Hindle, the other a 'Titan') seem Ok but are growing very slowly. The 3 D'Amato Sarracenia seedlings I have out there (S. x 'Gin Goblin', 'Abnorma', 'Judith Adrian' I believe) appear to be still alive, but aren't sending up pitchers very frequently, and those they are sending up are wilting at the tips at random. I recently repotted them in a mix of 2-1 Peat/Pumice (my first try with Pumice) in a single big insulated pot -- didn't take them out of the current soil, just slid them out of their pots and directly into the new pot, so... well, we'll see.

The Drosera Tracyiis appear to be gone, as are most of the VFTs. I think (hope) that part of the problem was the winterization I did -- they were too wet in the firdge, I think. Something to think about going forward, I suppose. I'm not replacing lost plants until I get an idea of where I'm going to be over the next few years... Hopefully I can get my grow lights set up in the garage.

I could, in desperation, move them all inside in my communal Sundew pot (a B52 and my Akai Ryu ended up there), but... it's difficult to find room, and the plants in there aren't exactly thriving either.

Last edited:
You can thank the jet stream that dips down in the Rockies and bulges up in the East. It'll change....

Back