What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

whats wrong with my heli

• Thread starter M Jacobs
  • Start date
232323232%7Ffp537%3C8%3Enu%3D3389%3E937%3E3%3A5%3EWSNRCG%3D32%3C375%3C%3A%3C6345nu0mrj

I have no idea what the problem is all of a sudden it's wilting and the main growth point died help appreciated. Thanks

i dont personally like the looks of the media, it looks too compact for helis, they need an airy mix....i think your problem is rot...

Umm...

What are the conditions? temps? humidity? what did you use for the media? what kind of water are you using? How much light? how much water?

It might be root rot, if you gently tug a live pitcher, and if it comes out easily, it's most likely root rot.

Hard to say without knowing the plant and its history but.....
I would dig it up, remove any dead or dying material, soak in some trichoderma if you have it, check for any pest, then replant in a more open mix

You probably don't have much of a window of opportunity either

At the very least, I would suggest that the plant is light-starved, judging from some of the leaves.

Beyond that issue, Andreas Fleischmann posted the following on the CPUKforum site in connection with what he referred to as "Heliamphora sudden collapse:"

"This Heliamphora disease is caused by a phytopathogenic fungus (which I was able to identify during my molecular studies of Heliamphora by chance), which infects the vascular tissue of the centre of the plant, and can kill a healthy plant within a few days by browning heart disease/ wilt disease. This fungus lives within the tissue of a plant as an endophyte in its asexual phase (even in wild populations of Heliamphora as it seems), and normally does not harm the plant. However, providing the perfect conditions for the fungus to propagate (which are unfortunately exactly those conditions which will make Heliamphora suffer much, and thus get an easy host for mass infection by the fungus), i.e. prolonged warm temperatures above 28°C and high humidity, the fungus hyphae start growing rapidly, filling all vascular bundles of the plant host's heart (you will recognized dark brown collapsed bundles in the centre of the plant, filled with hyphae under a microscope). The roots and leaves are still looking healthy at this stage, but the plant heart is already dead. It's very characteristic for this wilting disease that the leaves and roots are dying/rotting from the centre to the tip! This means that the tips of the leaves are still fresh and green, whereas the base is already brown and rotting.

"I made some infection and growth experiments with this fungus at university in a heated chamber. This fungus can kill a healthy Heliamphora plant at 28°C and high humidity in less than 10 days after infection! On the dying plant parts in the centre of the plant, hundreds of little conidia (asexual spores) are formed for propagation by air and especially water droplets. Interestingly, this fungus is not growing well on artificial growth media, and I did not find any chemical treatment to stop it's growth yet. But I'm still working on this subject, and will keep you updated.

"BTW, a related species of fungus is causing almost the same disease in Darlingtonia!

"I cannot recommend any cure for infected plants so far (usually the "terminal" stage of this disease is leading to loss of the infected plant, but sometimes regrowth occurs from lateral buds, if growth conditions are changed at once), only prevention:
Cool temperatures (especially during summer heat waves!) seem to be essential, especially cool root temperatures! Spores of this fungus seem to be around everywhere (airborne?), and experienced Heliamphora growers told me that they never had any problems with this wilting disease indoors, when using pure water (not rainwater). This might be due to optimal growing conditions as well.

"I only had this problem with Heliamphora grown outdoors or in my greenhouse so far . . ."

Last edited:
I don't actually grow them but even I can tell that that mix is too peaty and dense.....

I got it on ebay a year and a half ago with large healthy pitchers and it was growing fine it produced eight inch tall pitchers then it tried to flower and it all went down hill that could be part of the problem which i forgot to mention. The light is two i'm not sure exactly what type they are but they have been good for about two years and no problems prior to this so it's most likely not the light it's on for i believe ten hours a day soil not sure same as the guy i got it from on ebay temps eight max low of sixty five. in the spring and summer lower on both ends in the winter. water twice a week no prior issues with over watering before.

For some reason i think it's that fungus cause it had about eight growth points huge pitchers and then bang almost dead. Any suggestions if it is the fungus maybe from that passage put ice on the soil could be one suggestion.

Sorry amigo if I sound mean but you should have addressed this problem the day you sign up here in TF. If you say you had it for a year and a half already and it has been going downhill then the problem can probably be your media or your condtions might be not right for the plant. However like Aviator said. I don't think you have much for your plant to survive. If I was you, I would repot RIGHT AWAY and see if I could give it optimal conditions at whatever cost to save the plant. But from what I could see, you should be saying to your plant good bye.

I really hope you can save your plant. Sorry if I sound mean but I see your plant in a really bad shape. Good luck!

For some reason i think it's that fungus cause it had about eight growth points huge pitchers and then bang almost dead. Any suggestions if it is the fungus maybe from that passage put ice on the soil could be one suggestion.

The reason that I brought up Fleischmann's study, is that I lost a couple of plants in the last few years to just such mysterious circumstances. Both the Heliamphora and Darlingtonia in question had been perfectly healthy for years, then were faced with a sudden, irreversible decline and collapse; and i did notice fungal hyphae upon un-potting them . . .

"I only had this problem with Heliamphora grown outdoors or in my greenhouse so far . . ."

I just put mine outside!

Sorry amigo if I sound mean but you should have addressed this problem the day you sign up here in TF. If you say you had it for a year and a half already and it has been going downhill then the problem can probably be your media or your condtions might be not right for the plant. However like Aviator said. I don't think you have much for your plant to survive. If I was you, I would repot RIGHT AWAY and see if I could give it optimal conditions at whatever cost to save the plant. But from what I could see, you should be saying to your plant good bye.

I really hope you can save your plant. Sorry if I sound mean but I see your plant in a really bad shape. Good luck!

No it was great till about a month ago.

Just repeating what others have said.
You do not have a strong enough light source. There is no nectar spoon formation, which happens in too low a light level. Should not kill a plant.
What I believe the reason for the poor condition is the soil mix. It will stay water-logged too long. I have killed a Heli because of that before.
My mixes use very open and airy. 1/2 part lava rock / 1 part sand / 2 parts perlite / 1 part peat moss/ and some dried LFS thrown in.
It may be too late, but I'd change the soil mix ASAP.

Back