What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

cephalotus hill

uphwiz

jimmy
im having fairlly good results with my cephalotus under some what harsh conditions ,
it stays 80 to 85 degrees here along side the lowland terrarium, but i do have two computer fans
on the whole lot of plants on this shelf , they take water every day, just till the tray gets about 1/4 inch or so full , and it is dry by evening , they are getting 14 hours of the 4 bulb t-5 fixture now, and are starting to color very nicely, though the one in front was almost black when i got it , i may raise it up a bit closer , in another week or two, i mist the pitchers once a day when i get home from work, say 5 to 6 pm with enough time for them to dry out before lights go out at 9, (they just look thirsty), i do not get the medium moist though, just the pitchers , and very lightly , i think they are loving the treatment, hope hope.
The plant in the middle is my oldest ceph at over two now , it is just a regular ceph, but is trying to out do the other two:-D, which are hummers giant .
IMG_1984-1-2.jpg
This is the reg ceph. up close , the fore most pitcher in the picture is one full inch, not including the lid.
IMG_1985-1.jpg

Looking good Jimmy, what kinda light you using?

wow, you grow cephs amazingly well... thanks for sharing this.

Your cephs look great. Must be doing something right!

Impressive plants. Well done! I am curious about your methods, and I wonder if you would share more in detail. What kind of medium do you use? You say it stays in the 80s in your enclosure. Does that mean your plants never cool down below that at night? How close are your lamps to the plants? Do your fans stay on all the time, or are they timed to come on at intervals?

I find it interesting that you mist your cephs in the evening. I have recently taken to doing the same thing, although I do it a little later. The plants seem to love it.

Nice! I use the tray method for mine, never mist or top water, but they do get San Diego temps as their climate.

Yeah.... they look great!

nepguy,
What kind of medium do you use? You say it stays in the 80s in your enclosure. Does that mean your plants never cool down below that at night? How close are your lamps to the plants? Do your fans stay on all the time, or are they timed to come on at intervals?

These chephs. are on my intermediate shelf no enclosure. But with the mass of plants i can keep the humidity up well above 50 percent all the time.I just use a pre -mix that i purchased from a well known cp grower in the north west USA area, if you want the name pm me. I dont think cephs. are as picky as all that , just as long as they drain realy well, if you plan on dividing, live sphag may be a problem though as it will tangle and make it very hard to seperate with out damaging the roots, av8tor1 has helped me massively and is the one i go to for advise, ive only seperated one ceph rescently, and all the divisions seem to be doing ok, but there are several pitchers on each division that will be lost, though i think all will survive and do well by next year, and ill have 6 hummers from the one plant, yipie!
I didnt mean to mislead, yes the lights are on a timer ,and as the season moves along ill reduce it an half an hour about every other week starting in mid July down to ten hours a day, I did the opposite back in Jan. this is how i did it last year and they seemed to come back very well this season, so yes there is a cool down at night to say 74 , and may be 70 some nights. The fans are on the same timers, so off at night , on during the day as long as the lights are on.
The reason i mist as soon as i get home is I don't want them to be damp on top after the lights go out , i like them to dry well before lights out.
The lights are 14 inches from the highest one in the back,to about 18 inches from the one in the front.
you probably could go a lot closer to t-12's as they aren't as warm as the t-5's.
Here is another shot of the reg ceph.
IMG_1986_1.jpg

Outstanding plants Jimmy,

Av

Thanks for answering my questions. I like the pick the brains of people who grow healthy, good-looking plants because they are obviously doing something right.

I agree that cephs don't seem to be that picky about medium as long as it drains well. I recently started using aquatic pond soil in my ceph mix. APS drains fast and holds water without staying soggy. It makes up half my medium now, and the plants seem to like it..

My cephs are under lights as well, some under T5s and some under a bank of compact fluorescent lights. I think if I were going to start again, I would probably just use the CFLs out of cheapness.

Your plants are beautiful. Thanks for sharing the pics.

here are some up date shots, tried to get at least one from the same position .
This is one of the six divisions im still holding on to , from one of my hummers.
IMG_2751.jpg
IMG_2756-1.jpg
IMG_2755-1.jpg
And here is my regular ceph, (the rest are hummers giants).
IMG_2753.jpg
This hummer is looking like the one i divided in the spring when i got the six divisions.
IMG_2754-1.jpg

Wow...jeezus that's amazing! Nice job!

Gotta say that's some of the best Cephs I've ever seen....Well done Jimmy

Beautifully grown Jimmy,
well done mate

Butch

Oh WOW!! Those are superb!! Very very nice!!!
Fantastic pictures and plants as always!

Outstanding!

Awesome stuff!

I have to agree those are some of the best I've ever seen. Great job Jimmy!!

Back