What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Sarracenia oreophila and the Gulf Oil Disaster

Been hearing a lot about the oil disaster down south and how it's basically killing off any wetlands and swamps within aquifer distance of the gulf itself, and it's just getting started.

Are any of the native Sarracenia oreophila sites in danger? What about other threatened / endangered carnivorous plant locations?

S. Oreophila would not be in the zone. S. Leuco, Flava, Gulfensis, Purp Burkeii, Psitt and Alata might be. All depends how far in the oil goes. Chances are they will be safe due to the marshes in the brackish zone catching the oil before it goes to the freshwater zone.

Oreophila is well inland :)

A mess like this affects the ecological conditions and environment, and will ultimately have widespread effects that are currently unpredictable. The natural balance has been greatly disturbed by this, and to think that just because it doesn't affect things directly and immediately, that it won't be a problem in the future.

While not as apparent as the natural connection was presented in the movie Avatar, our environment is connected in many ways, and what affects one, will ultimately affect others.
It could be as simple as flood-waters from a hurricane distributing oil miles inland.

Just my thoughts.

Take care all! :water:

A mess like this affects the ecological conditions and environment, and will ultimately have widespread effects that are currently unpredictable. The natural balance has been greatly disturbed by this, and to think that just because it doesn't affect things directly and immediately, that it won't be a problem in the future.

While not as apparent as the natural connection was presented in the movie Avatar, our environment is connected in many ways, and what affects one, will ultimately affect others.
It could be as simple as flood-waters from a hurricane distributing oil miles inland.

Just my thoughts.

Take care all! :water:

Agreed! multiple keystone species could be affected from bottom up food web issues. Examples could be dolphin and other mammals such as manatees, many birds, fish that rely on prey critters that may be affected. The disaster could cause many problems in the plant and animal Kingdoms.

Additional thought:

Even the "biological soup" that will be created by a mass die-off of fish and animals will create a situation that nature will again, go thru a transitional period to balance off. As this happens, it will affect other natural systems/environments.

We actually live in a closed system, albeit a very large one.

We need to not pollute our own environment, nor crap where we eat.

By the way, I read that some of the fishermen that are out there helping cleanup efforts are getting sick from the oil (fumes I guess, if not direct contact). That is volatile stuff we have released into the gulf! And a lot of it! No one should be thinking this is not a real environmental disaster.
Had this happened 40 years ago, the people would be out protesting and demonstrating against BP and what has happened.
While I think the Pres is doing a decent job under the circumstances, I find it funny that most people are only concerned about it not affecting gas prices and glad it didn't happen in their own back yard. No one seems to care about holding BP accountable for every person, business, plant and animal that will be affected or even tortured and killed by this.
I have noticed that every time a picture of the situation (w/dead suffering animals or where the oil has been moving) appears on the net, it is soon removed! (My wife has kept track of this so I know it is a fact.)
This should be on the daily news, every day, documenting the situation from every aspect. People should be informed as to what is really happening, but instead things are being down-played and people are thinking it is not that big a deal.

This is NOT a good situation! And I am not just referring to the oil. (This subject upsets me!)

Will it affect stands of CP's growing in the wild? Well, hard to say at the moment, and it also depends on your definition of "affect". If we couldn't stop the oil, it could pollute our environment in unimaginable ways. In man's history, we don't have record of this sort of thing ever occurring before in this (or larger) magnitude.
BP opened a Pandora's Box, and they better get it closed again, for all our sakes!
Perhaps that 12/21/2012 prediction isn't so far fetched, with the way we are going!

Well, good luck all. We are gonna need it.

Drill Baby Drill!
Um...er....OK, that didn't work out so well...

Back