What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

New plant :) More questions!

I got my first sarra today, didn't really intend to get one. I have done all my research on VFTs and when I saw these and saw that they like full sun also, I figured I would get one of each. So now I have a plant that I didn't do any prior research on, and I kinda feel bad. I just want to give it everything it needs :)

I did a search and found some of the information I needed, just have a couple questions.

1. Do not fill the pitchers right?? I read on a couple of web sites that you should fill the pitchers...but everything I have read here says NO. So please just looking for verification on that.

2. These were in full shade in the nursery. Should I get them used to full sun by only giving them a couple of hours at first, or just put them out all day tomorrow in full sun?

3. Can you guess what species my sarracenia is? I see so many different types (flava, rubra, purpurea, etc.) and each has it's own coloration and size. If you can guess, can you tell me the size of pitchers I can expect and about its growth (or where to find it). I read some of the sarracenia species climb trellis' or hang out of pots. Just wondering.

Here is a picture:
4652150740_96b1bfe273_m.jpg

I will post a better picture tomorrow!

First of all, what you have looks like a cross between S. Minor and S. Psitticina. The plant looks to be full grown, ie: flowering size and yes it needs to go out into full sun, about 6 to 10 hours a days worth. You will then see it color up real nice. Also when it's outside, it can feed itself, but you have to make sure to keep the water bowl it's in filled( unless it rains ). The flytrap can go outside as well. Do not fill the pitchers as they fill themselves.

Most of your questions have been answered in the Dionaea forum.

I would ease both of them into full sunlight exposure by progressively reducing the amount of partial shade the receive over a couple off weeks.

While Sarracenia are in many respects very durable a bad case of sunburn can put their growth back by months or even a year. You want to enjoy the growing season as much as you can.

#1 Don't fill the pitchers. It can induce rot, especially in a weaker plant (like the one you kindly rescued from the nursery).

#2 Gradually acclimate them to full sun and lower humidity. Put the sarr in full sun for say, 2 hours at first. Increase the amount of time they are in full sun slowly until they are in full sun all the time (I would take about a week or two to do this).

#3 As cpman said, it is probably S. minor x psittacina (this is also known botanically as S. x formosa). Minor stays pretty small, psittacina is smaller (and stays flat to the ground), so I would expect it to be around a foot at talllest, maybe a bit more or less. Concerning how it will look, try searching on cp photo finder (link is here: http://www.cpphotofinder.com/sarracenia-x-formosa-747.html).

Don't forget to give it winter dormancy at the end of the year (starting October/November).

I don't think there are any Sarracenia that climb trellises or "hang out of pots". You might have been thinking about Nepenthes.

Nepenthes from Barry Rice's FAQ: http://www.sarracenia.com/faq/faq5400.html

I think it might be a 'Cobra's Nest'... I've seen them in hardware stores before.

The middle of the page HERE has a cultivar description.

That's what I was thinking Clue. Just a little uncolored

Back