What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Sarracenia flava var. rubricorpora

Here are a couple of shots of one of my favorite American Pitcher Plants -- Sarracenia flava var. rubricorpora, a variety from Apalachicola, Florida.

Strangely enough, I have a few others whose deep red color will not be expressed until late Summer or Early Fall, even though all are grown identically (one is clearly visible to the left in the larger photo); but this one -- even with the late, colder Spring we've experienced in California -- is coloring up nicely and has always been the first to do so. Even the phyllodia from last Winter are attractive enough to remain . . .

Sarracenia flava var. rubricoropora

FLAVARUBRA.jpg

FLAVARUBRA2.jpg

I would have to agree BB - they are one of my favorites as well. I have one that looks like your large one right now and a few with less color like your shorter one. It's all in the genes! :) I also have some great hybrids with rubricorpora that color up immediately and put on a great show. It's a wonderful plant!

And I, weill agree again. Flava is one of my favourite pitcher plants. You have an incredible plant!!

Thanks . . .

It is nice to actually see some development from the Sarracenia this season. We've had little Spring and Summer hits in a couple of weeks. Most of my other plants have managed to flower but are somewhat late with their pitchers.

I can only wonder at how long the already short season of the S. oreophila will be. Great -- a bunch of pots of squiggly phyllodia . . .

Beautiful! In person, the colors of this plant always (and strangely) remind me of starburst candy... with the red and pink being adjacent to the bright yellow. :)

that is an awesome shade of red on those pitchers.

Gorgeous plants!

That is just dazzling! Those are some very favorable characteristics in this variety... thanks for sharing!

You have impeccable timing. :)

I got 2 rubricorpora last fall and was beginning to think one was flava var ornata or something. One is solid red and the other just a faint blush of red other than the veining. Even less than yours and they grow side by side. The "early red" form is from Liberty County, FL. The other some unnamed clone.

Back