What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

anthocyanin-free S. leucophylla NASC AL005

I've known that one of the NASC S. leucophyllas (Short Tube, Wide Mouth - AL005) I'm growing has little, if any, red pigment. Now I see that it is going to have a yellow flower. Can someone explain the criteria for deciding an S. leuc. is truly anthocyanin free? I saw something about it once, but can't remember where. Also, is anyone else growing one of these AL005 plants that has yellow flowers? By the way, the reason I've never been sure whether this plant has any red in it is that it is in a pot with three other AL005 plants and I can't see the base very well. I guess it's time to separate them.

The criterea for whether a plant is anthocyanin free is that the growth point shows no red whatsoever. If there is any red at all, then the plant is not a true anthocyanin free plant. This criterea was determined by Dr. Donald Schnell by the way.

Green and white leucophyllas with yellow flowers that are not anthocyanin free exist. 'Schnell's Ghost' is an example.

Thanks for all the responses. 'Schnell's Ghost' might have been mentioned in what I read before and, although I had forgotten that example, it's what prompted the question. As for looking at growth points, I don't what they look like because the "white" S. leuc is intergrown with "normal" ones and the sphagnum is growing very thickly, blocking a clear view. I don't feel like peeling it out of the way for a proper inspection.

Growing pitchers will look green if it's anthocyanin free. If they're red / copper / orange coloured, it'll be a green and white leuco.

Back