What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

S. purpurea from Lowes, subsp. ID?

Today I went to Lowes to get some Neem since there was a small mite problem. I passed by the CP Death Cube rack, and I saw this huge S. purpurea with two pitchers, and just had to buy it. :-))
Well, It doesn't look really bad coming from Lowes, probably a new shipment. I was wondering if it is a subsp. purpurea or subsp. venosa? It looks like subsp. purpurea because it has no hairs on the outer lid, but I'm not convinced, I need help from the experts!Thank you!

http://i528.photobucket.com/albums/dd324/limeslide/100_3633.jpg
http://i528.photobucket.com/albums/dd324/limeslide/100_3632.jpg

Nice pickup! I'll have to keep my eyes peeled next time I go to Lowes. Purpurea is on my short list because I can grow them outside all year here in MI. You gonna repot him?

Grow that out. o_O;

Is the pot too small? I'll try to find a bigger pot then! Sarracenia purpurea can grow in pure sphagnum, right?

I think the pot size is OK, I just question what growing medium Lowes has their CP's in ???. According to Savage Garden LF sphagnum is great, or a combo of perlite, peat, LF and a little sand.

Maybe you should get him under some direct sun in a distilled water tray and see how it plays out first... I'm sure they've been top watering with tap water :-(.

---------- Post added at 12:55 AM ---------- Previous post was at 12:54 AM ----------

Looks like you got to him before they did too much damage though :).

It is in full sun in a tray of water with all my other CPs that I grow in Trays. XD
I'll try to get a new pot later on.

It looks in desperate need of light!

Should be in a position to ID in a few weeks.

Aww he's so sad being all green! I remember when I got mine from lowes he was totally green

It's not in pure sphagnum. It has peat on the bottom. And yes most CP's can.

Interesting! For a long time the S. purpurea sold at Lowe's were ssp. venosa. But I believe the one I picked up this past fall is ssp. purpurea. Maybe they switched over? Definitely post some pics once it recovers a little!

Interesting! For a long time the S. purpurea sold at Lowe's were ssp. venosa. But I believe the one I picked up this past fall is ssp. purpurea. Maybe they switched over? Definitely post some pics once it recovers a little!

I agree, once it recovers and grows a new leaf in your conditions, we should be able to help with IDs.

Strangely enough, that does look like subsp. purpurea! Either way, congrats on the find. :-O

It looks in desperate need of light!

Should be in a position to ID in a few weeks.

I placed him in sun right now, I'll post updates when it makes new pitchers.

*Subscribed*!

I just picked myself up a "purple pitcher plant" in a death cube from Lowes yesterday. It has slightly more purple veining on two of the four pitchers it has (I got the one in the larger cube for $7 - talk about instant gratification). I'm also interested in IDing the plant, because I'm sure it's the same ssp. as the OP's.

I repotted it today into some peat/perlite/sand mix and put it under some 32watt fluorescent grow bulbs. Unfortunately I can't put it outdoors because I live in an apartment, but I hear that if there's any pitcher plant that can thrive under artificial light, its S. purpurea. OK, well "thrive" might be a bit of an exaggeration, but you know what I mean.

Although mine didn't get much of a good growing season it certainly looked more like ssp. purpurea, especially compared to Barry's photos.

Ha, sorry to resurrect a dead thread here. I was hoping this plant was ssp. Purpurea. Older posts from previous years suggest it used to be ssp. Venosa.

I'll post a pic later tonight. Mine came with a few nice red veins; hoping it will continue to darken under artificial light.

Question: are you recent death cube buyers attempting to put this plant through dormancy this year, or do you think its weak enough straight out of the cube that it would be better to let it stay awake until next winter?

I got mine back in 06, and it had ended up being Venosa:
30005_451436748968_787308968_5747789_5616827_n.jpg

That looks great!! I can't wait for mine to red up a bit. Here's mine right now:

IMG_0148.jpg

Meh. Do you think it looks to be in too poor a shape to put through dormancy now, considering I just liberated it from its death cube this weekend?

Yours is going to be spectacular, Fury!

Heh, thanks! Although the Carnivore Queen up there is a tough act to follow with her lovely Venosa!!

So what do you think... to allow dormancy, or not to allow dormancy?

Back