What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Sarrs?

Are those flowers what I think they are? :scratch:

100_4075copy.jpg

Can't say for sure, but those don't look like sarr flowers to me.

judging by the size of the flowers compared to the rotund as well as the complete absence of pitchers, no they are not sarra flowers.

bummer.. the 2nd on from the left was just so convincing.

judging by the size of the flowers compared to the rotund as well as the complete absence of pitchers, no they are not sarra flowers.

either that, or those are the biggest sundews i've ever seen

Those are some big rotounds however what passes for the Sarrs flowers are actually what is known as Fiddleheads. They are the unrolled leaves of ferns. If you look at the one on the right, you can see the leaves of the fern on the two smaller ones. There good eating in salad by the way for those with a survivalist bent as there most tender at this time.

:puke:

Don't listen to the lies - they're vile eats, like asparagus!

I just bought some fresh asparagus yesterday.. lol I figured it was time to mix it up. Getting bored of brussel sprouts.

Those aren't fiddleheads, at least not fiddleheads like I've ever seen. Fiddleheads unfurled themselves some time ago and, in fact, it looks like there's a long-opened fern in the high foreground in the right-center of the photo. I used to eat fiddleheads when I lived in Maine, but I doubt I've had them more than once in the nearly 20 years since I moved away. They do taste a lot like asparagus, but asparagus is better in my opinion.

yeah, I was thinking fiddleheads came up about the same time as the morels. Like back in April or May.. I can't wait for dinner time tonight! Having steamed asparagus with steak and fried morels.. mmm. :drool:

Ferns come in different species with different growth habits and periods just like everything else. I have 5 different species of fern on my property here in Florida to including tree ferns and yes the new leaves look just like that in the photo when their unfurling. The only true way to tell is to go back to the site and pluck a leave and unroll the thing.

They look like ferns to me too but I can say for sure they’re not purp flowers.

cpman - What's the name of the fern you're thinking of? I'd like to see what it looks like because I can't remember ever seeing one like that, even when I lived in the south or when visiting FL. Maybe I'm wrong (I am 1/2 of the time, optimistically speaking), but all the ferns I can think of up here open in the spring.

Back