What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

"Purple pitcher" from Lowes

pappydew

I hate bugs. Carnivorous plants get me.
I purchased an unknown Sarracenia sp. from Lowes and the label just says "Purple pitcher" without any Latin name. My first guess is S. purpurea because of the common name but any ideas?

IMG_1880.jpg

IMG_1881.jpg

That is Sarracenia purpurea

Thanks!

One of our Lowe's here has 1 of those left. The thing is about triple that size with 8 pitchers. It's in great shape, but not high on my 'Must Save From The Rack' list.. I'm still waiting on them to get their next order in so I can get my 2 darlingtonias that I paid for almost 2 weeks ago.

pS.. I almost forgot to say,"CONGRATS!"

This one isn't in the best of shape...just noticed one of the pitchers is ripped almost all the way across the tube part. They had a few VFTs left and a single D. adelae that looked pretty sad. For $5 I figured it was worth nursing back to health.

Nice pickup, Pappy! I bet with a little love it'll be just fine.

No. its the venosa variation of purpurea. SO Purpurea Venosa

I just got a Darlingtonia At lowes today. It sorta in good shape. It got little baby.... pitcher things all around it.

No. its the venosa variation of purpurea. SO Purpurea Venosa

Once or twice I am pretty sure I saw a purp purp, esp. considering the fact I had both Subspecies.
Either way, it's S. Purpurea

Most, if not all, of the purps I have gotten at lowes were ssp. purpurea

So long as its S. purpurea I'm good...;)

Back