What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

those finicky cephs ;)

and I was expecting it to be the Miracle Grow ceph that would stir up discussion :scratch:

Many of us are root feeding the cephs ....that soil just has some traces of fert so i'm not that surprised it's working for you. The "fragility" of this plant is just a myth...if you grow it for more than 2-3 years you will see that sooner or later.

So, what possessed you to use the Miracle Grow in the first place? I have heard of growers using APS and Osmocote to grow Cephalotus but not potting soil.

Thanks Butch. Yet another method to torture cuttings next time . . .

Just made sense, peer reviewed research shows 70% of their nutrient ions comes from their roots. The most of any cp tested.

And many of us had already been root feeding them for years.... so I thought I would give Miracle Grow's "Moisture Control" potting soil a try ;)

I bet 50/50 potting soil/APS would be a good mix :)

She has beautiful colors. very nice thread! I have a plant in sand, peat and diatomaceous earth and its growing fine:).

what's APS?

mass = noob

Aquatic plant soil.

Here mass:

APS is short for Aquatic Plant Soil, a brand-name by Schultz. It's a fine gravel made from fired clay. Also known by the brand name Turface, which is much cheaper, even though it's by the same manufacturer. Ceramic chips is a more generic term for it.
Awesome discoveries Butch! I really want to try APS/Hydroton once I get my Ceph cutting rolling... I'm determined to replicate mobile's little setup. The Miracle Gro is kind of surprising, but I guess it makes sense, considering they are only seasonally carnivorous according to some folks.
Just got off the phone with Contractor Lighting and they're sending me THREE replacement ballasts (one for the dead one, two for the others that are slow-starting) and an entire case of replacement tubes, because just six out of the case would be too fragile in the mail. Woohoo!
~Joe

hey thanks..

Still doing good?
When i get mine I may just have to try a leaf cutting and pot it in MG!

Thank You! I will try this recipe. :lol:

Round about the couldron go:
In the miracle gro my ceph I throw.
Toad,that under cold stone
Days and nights has thirty-one
Sweated venom sleeping got,
Boil thou first in the charmed pot.
Double,double toil and trouble;
Fire burn and cauldron bubble.

Strike from a pitcher I shall make,
In the cauldron boil and bake;
Eye of newt and toe of frog,
Wool of bat and tongue of dog,
Adder's fork and blindworm's sting,
Lizard's leg and howlet's wing.
For charm of powerful trouble,
Like a hell-broth boil and bubble.
Double,double toil and trouble;
Fire burn and couldron bubble

oops, didnt know anyone was listening :angel:

Are these plants still alive???

It did great until this year when I lost interest and it died from neglect.
(being honest :blush: )

Cephs can, and do grow well in potting soil... or at least this one did.

Last edited:
I've recently rooted 2 of 4 leaf pulls in MG garden soil, the kind with all those sticks in it.

Also had good success with rooting leaf pulls in the seed starting sponges and currently have 5 of 5 leaf pulls still green and healthy planted into a normal kitchen sponge, too early to tell for those.

Then there is Mobile's long list of odd mediums...

Who is Mobile and where do I find the long list?

You can use the search function here and just search for threads started by Mobile. Also check out CPUK forums for some more posts.

As will most information on the internet you have to dig around to find the good stuff.

Was hoping you had a link to share, but a suppose digging is a necessary evil of today. Thanks anyway. :)

thats rediculous... its interesting to have been gone for a long time and see how the perception of cephs has changed.

Very nice work!

Back